Any opinions on my config?

exee4

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Hello guys, first post so, glad to be aboard :)

My 2002 PC died (Prescott, 32 bits, basically old gen heh) and I decided it's time to enter the new wave of PCs with this purchase. For obvious reasons, I decided to go with components instead of pre-builds. I don't want to control the next NASA space launch, so I won't need a tough rig, but I would like something to last for a while and help me with work (programming, databases and very rare gaming - and no, I won't play any new games, maybe Dota2, StarCraft2 and the 3 Mass Effects... not planning on Crysis, CoD and the likes).

I was thinking of some medium-to-high end (but mostly so it can last since I don't want to put anything more in it UNLESS I REALLY REALLY need to :)) Also no plans to overclock (unless maybe in 3 or so years ? just to keep it "running")

Here is what I thought of getting:

Config:
* Intel Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz Socket 1150 Box
* Gigabyte H97M-D3H Socket 1150
* Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
* Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 <- maybe another one as backup
* Sapphire Radeon HD7850 Dual-X 2GB DDR5 256-bit HDMI
Build:
* Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
* Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1000W
PC health-wise, I was thinking of these:
* UPS Serioux ProtectIT 850LS 850VA
* 3 x Deepcool Wind Blade 120 mm
* Fan controller NZXT Sentry LX

My previous thoughts were:
* Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz Socket 1150 Box <- same performance as 4670 for what I need
* Thermaltake V3 BlacX Edition <- slightly increased price, Black has better bays than BlacX
* Gigabyte GA-Q87M-D2H Socket 1150 <- anti theft ? not sure there's a point
* Fan controller NZXT Sentry LXE <- its connectors have some issues in some reviews

I dropped the 4 ones above cos of the price-vs-gain ratio, especially since I might not need them.

From what I read, both the case and MB are mATX so they should "fit" together.

Since things changed in the last 10 years and I am not too up-to-times I have some small doubts, but after some reviews and the specs I read the parts should like each other. I still wanted a second opinion from you guys :)

I do admit I am kinda scared about plugging the main power in the MB since it's not the old style of "one unique wire plug for one unique port" so if any of you know of some good tuts for PSU/MB connecting I'd appreciate it before I accidentally set off some fireworks :)

P.S. thanks in advance and have a nice day !

exee4

Reputable
May 19, 2014
The problem is I not only need the PC for my own projects but also for my upcoming uni exams and work (for when I take it home) so it's kind of urgent that I get it (I am currently using my mom's Laptop... technically it's mine, but it's hers, so she's always watching the clock every time I use it :p) . That having been said, coupling with what I'll use it for (i.e. setting up a test Oracle database for example and development) I can't quite look at a budget limitation (although I would like to stop at 1000). Estimated (based on currency differences versus EUR) I'd approximate my config to around 1000 or so EUR. Personally I didn't quite want to hit it, but I wouldn't back down on the health stuff (UPS, fans etc). Especially since that was an issue with my previous PC.

You could say I wouldn't want to get over 1000 EUR but as said, I plan to have this for at least 4 years (with at MOST, maybe memory or HD upgrades, nothing else... This GPU won't exist in 4 years so no Xfire either - not that I'd need it anyway).

As for the PSU, I estimated around 600W, but because there are some random power surges and fluctuations in the current in my building (yeah, an antique building that was prolly built when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth) I'd rather get a beefed up PSU that wouldn't "suffer" much from less distributed power or current/power "attacks". And from experience, Antec never failed me :)

As for "re-use", I have:
* Samsung Syncmaster 2243 22" Monitor
* Samsung Writemaster DVD Writer <- not sure if it's SATA or IDE though, haven't used it in 3 or so years and it's still in its box
* Creative Sound Blaster (yes, the old version 1, no Audigy but it still kicks ass) <- not sure if I'll plug it in ... I have THOSE kind of neighbors so chances are I won't be able to enjoy music on anything other than headphones
* Microsoft Sidewinder x5 Mouse

I have some left over IDE HDs but I don't think they will work on this MB (also, they're kinda small... from the 40-60 GB era, but still reliable)

I guess you could wrap it up as because it's urgent and I don't want to "touch" it in the next 3-4 years, I'd rather get a decent one now.

Suztera, what PSU would you recommend as an alternative to the HCP1000 for that setup ? Not sure I could drop anything else.

This would be roughly good enough for you. There was other items that i wanted to put in but it is not listed also this was based on Germany pricing so it might vary from yours location.
Do you get power outages often in your area? I not experienced in UPS though. But it looks like it would be good to get one so you can safely shut down your pc when a power outage occurs. For power surges, make sure you use a surge protector

550-650W is enough for any single gpu setup. XFX are also good brands. They use Seasonic which Antec also uses.
You can swap the cpu and motherboard to a non-overclockable build if you don;t plan to overclock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€194.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€125.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€82.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€69.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€50.39 @ Pixmania DE)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card (€269.00 @ Caseking)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (€39.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€84.69 @ Hardwareversand)
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller (€26.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €977.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-19 21:34 CEST+0200)

exee4

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Thanks a lot for the alternatives ! I'll check them later ... the "guardian" needs her Laptop now :)

At a first glance I'd say I might swap the second HD I wanted for an SSD for the system/app drive (so nice touch there) Maybe I could even install Oracle there.

As for the K and Z components, yeah, I'll go for non-K and H, since I won't OC.
As for the case, fan controller and PSU (XFX) I'll check out some other stores. Unfortunately, modding came into style rather late here, so we don't have all the cool gadgets yet. I was lucky enough to find those as it is...

Is the R9 newer than the HD78XX series ? I am not sure it's imported yet. I still can't even find HD79XX in stores yet so I am not sure I'll find R9. I am tempted to use amazon for exotics, the only issue I have is with the delivery date since it'll be from abroad (and as said, I kinda need the new rig "yesterday")

I'll look into your list and see what I can swap, depending on what we have in stores here. Thanks for the list :)

The R9 290, 290X and 260X is new architecture. THe rest of the line is a rebrand of the 7000 series. a R9 280X is a rebrand of a 7970 Ghz Edition.
For non-k, you can get any of the i5 locked cpu depending on your budget and for motherboard, the H97 or H87 motherboard would be fine.

exee4

Reputable
May 19, 2014
One question, if I would switch to a K processor (let's say to OC it in 3-4 years to keep it relevant), would I need a Z motherboard or is a H motherboard enough ?
While the price distance from H87 to Q is acceptable, it feels like a long way from H87 to a Z (although I read Z motherboards are more for gaming and such).

BTW I noticed you chose Asus. Is Asus better ? So far I only had Gigabyte and they handled pretty well.