Corsair Hx850 Problems

FallenXAngel

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Okay, so 50 dollars, a new motherboard, and two Forums later I think i found my issue. So my computer randomly shuts off and starts right back up. Let's say you want to watch a youtube video? Sure, my computer will do that, But in the middle of the video the computer shuts off. like it lost power like someone pulled the plug. Then it just starts up again. I originally thought it was my graphics card and motherboard. because i replaced my motherboard it originally was an AsRock Extreme 4. It now is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H but with both motherboards it shut down with. so i thought okay maybe it's over heating. but that isn't the case either. cause the AsRock ran at 30 degrees Celsius. and the gigabyte runs cooler than that. the AsRock ran my processor at about 40 degrees Celsius under load. and the gigabyte runs it about the same if not cooler. I don't have the graphics card in the computer anymore because it wouldn't open any application without shutting the computer down. so we finally come to the power supply. I honestly think that it is the power supply. But i'd like to know everyone's opinion because ive had my graphics card tested and it works fine. And this is a brand new motherboard never opened before. Also the power supply is refurbished so I would love some help.

****************UPDATE**********************
Tried testing some of the components. decided to test the processor used Prime95 and as soon as I clicked okay the computer shut down like the plug has been pulled and restarted.

****************UPDATE**********************
Turns out it was the power supply now it's working just fine thanks for all the feedback it helped a lot.

There's only one surefire way to test for a suspected faulty PSU under load and that's to replace it with another one.
Refurbished PSU? - - I wouldn't even consider using one on my rig. Too much at stake - - if it fails it can wipe out several other components, one of which might be an expensive gaming card.

FallenXAngel

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

The power supply would have cost me 180 dollars but i only paid 100 for it due to it being a refurbished power supply. I'm at the end of my rope with this thing. The amount of frustration It causes me is unreal

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Its the PSU, no doubt about it.

I had a similar issue, yours is just more drastic. I bought a used Corsair HX520W, thought this premium unit would be great for my build. Just because it was selling for almost 10 times less the new one's price, I sold my Antec Earthwatts to buy it. It has since been a frustrated month with my onboard GPU (The GFX refused to give display), which a couple days back started giving out artifacts that just blew my lid. So I spent whatever savings and cash I had and bought a new one. Though I am almost broke, I don't regret buying it at all!

FallenXAngel

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

IT WAS THE POWER SUPPLY. Finally I got it working WITH my graphics card although it's another refurbished model ( I have no money and they would only let me get one about the same price) It's an Ax 750 I downgraded 100 watts but i should be fine. But it's running like a dream. unfortunate for me it took two months and 50 not needed dollars spent. But this thing is running like i thought it would.