Advice on Dual Monitor Please?

Nathan93

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hi

Looking to get some advice on what to buy and how to set up another monitor.

My current monitor is used for everything pretty much, which gets annoying.. However mostly gaming/web browsing. Games tend to be of low demand if performing other tasks simultaneously i.e. Runescape. (don't judge).

The secondary monitor would be used only for browsing and watching netflix. Maybe also used for Runescape if the rules on multi-logging were to change.

Not really sure what spec you need to know to help me so.. my CPU is i5 3570k, and GPU is 7970 ghz edition.

The graphics card has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI socket on it (and another socket which i don't know what it is), but I also have the on board graphics if thats of any use.

My questions are:

What do I need to buy to enable this set up?
What do I need to do to set it up once I have these parts?
Will I experience lag on Runescape at all if streaming in HD on netflix while playing on max settings on two separate monitors? (currently use max settings and get max FPS (unless in overly populated areas))

Thanks for any help! :)

Solution
As long as you are running Win 7 or 8 you should be able to plug in another monitor to your GPU and have it run without a hitch.

The choice of monitor is dependent on you needs. I would get one with less than 5 ms (GTG) response.

I don't know Runescape so I can't evaluate the graphic requirements, but you are more likely to get lag from the internet connection than from the GPU. However if you have lag from the GPU you can always X-fire it.

imadirtybirdy

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
You Dont need anything but to plug in the cords, go to windows resolution and Click DETECT button, and it should pop up and you fiddle with it from there.

That other port, is display, and or Mini display ports

Also, no lag on anything, not with that card especially.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
As long as you are running Win 7 or 8 you should be able to plug in another monitor to your GPU and have it run without a hitch.

The choice of monitor is dependent on you needs. I would get one with less than 5 ms (GTG) response.

I don't know Runescape so I can't evaluate the graphic requirements, but you are more likely to get lag from the internet connection than from the GPU. However if you have lag from the GPU you can always X-fire it.

Solution

Nathan93

Honorable
May 20, 2013
OK..

Would it make a difference whether I was to connect this second monitor (or tv if it makes a difference) with hdmi or dvi?

And by lag I more meant a considerable drop in FPS.