Just 3.95 GB Useable

Jaqen Hghar

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Good day,

On a 64-bit machine, only half of installed memory is being detected. Specs are as follows:

Windows 7
Athlon x4 750k CPU
2x4 GB Corsair XMS3
500GB WD HDD
500w PSU
MSI fm2-a75ma-e35

I've reseated the CPU, reinstalled Windows, reseated the RAM, booted using only 1 in both DIMM slots to test for failure, updated my BIOS to the latest version, cleared the CMOS, and tweaked DRAM settings. Nothing has worked (or had any effect at all). Resource monitor picks up the other stick, as does CPUID, but the BIOS doesn't, which I believe is the key to this mystery.

Any input would be sorely appreciated!

If resource monitor and CPUID recognise it have you tried running something that uses more than 4 gigs of ram to see if you are utilising it all? I have no idea how to fix your problem but if you can use all 8 I wouldnt worry about it

Hi, your motherboard contains a legacy PCI slot. PCI does not play well with large amounts of memory. Your system setup should contain a setting with a name similar to "memory hole remapping" or "remap PCI addresses above 4GiB boundary". Make sure that this setting is enabled; some motherboards ship with it disabled by default to improve compatibility with older motherboards.

Jaqen Hghar

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Your system setup should contain a setting with a name similar to "memory hole remapping" or "remap PCI addresses above 4GiB boundary"

I searched long and hard for this setting and couldn't find it. You do mean the bios when you say system setup, right?

Yes. I took a look at your motherboard manual and couldn't find it either. If the POST screen doesn't detect all 8GiB then it's definitely a low level issue, either that setting I mentioned (which may be forced on), or some compatibility/integrity issue with the motherboard itself. I suggest sending an email to MSI to see if they can shed some light on it