ibuypower custom 801 Series NVidea Card

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hey guys. Obviously my first post here. Anyways, I work at a locally owned PC and Phone repair shop. Last night I had an ibuypower custom 801 series laptop come in. We ran our normal diagnostics, and also ran a GPU test. The video card is failing. And I can see that it's a separate card from the motherboard. I'm honestly trying to find a replacement part so I can price him out a replacement for his current card. It's been failing for a while and he hadn't sent it back under warranty. That's honestly the suckiest part about it. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I can find his video card.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Do you know the model of the video card? From what I know, ibuypower lets you pick what video card you want to put in, so it could be anything. A program like GPU-Z will tell you exactly what the card is.

You can then use pcpartpicker.com to find the lowest available price for that exact card.

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I'll check that out. Right now it's in our hardware section waiting to be taken apart so that we can get the part number off of it. I wish this had been posted before I moved it. But that's alright. I had notified the customer that his video card was failing. I let him know that since he spent nearly 2k on the laptop, that it probably was worth the money to fix, and that what we would do is since the card has its own processing unit, that we would put on our own thermal paste (I always use Arctic Silver). I also let him know that the most likely reason for the failing card was overheating and that the likely hood of the new card failing, if he decides to put the money into repairs, is pretty high since it's working in such a small enclosure.

I also let him know that to keep his laptop well maintained in this situation is:
1) When it starts to get uncomfortably hot in his lap, it's time to turn it off.
2) If it heats up unusually fast, he could do with a new application of thermal paste on the GPU.

Hope this wasn't bad information. I do all the maintenance on my desktop and it's expansion video card myself. I make a new application of Arctic Silver every two months to both the CPU and GPU. My computers core temps never go above 32C at full load. Sitting at Idle my lowest temp reading is 10C.

TRENDING THREADS