Possible Scam from the seller "MidLaneDream"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If you have bought parts from this seller, and have not received item or any replied from him/her for more than 1 week, please leave your info here to help.

Tom's ID "MidLaneDream"
[removed]

I bought the following:

MSi Z77a-g45 Motherboard
Intel i5-3570k NEVER overclocked and in excellent condition
Nzxt LCD Fan Controller
razr blackwidow keyboard

from him two weeks ago, paid for it. Seller claimed that he/she was about to move and would ship on Tues or Thurs that week. Well, two weeks passed, never had any reply or shipment info.

There was other buys who had similar buying experience from this seller. And the seller had deleted the original thread he/she posted here, so that original info was lost.

This thread is created to share some info and alert other folks.

Paypal information removed. -G

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
^ I know there were at least 3 people total who bought that cpu-motherboard combo and got scammed, and also there was a guy who bought the gt640, and somebody else bought the keyboard, and the first hd7850, the scammer then listed another hd7850

I'm talking to the mod team too about it. I also thought about making a topic to alert people to speak up, the mods need people to speak up who got scammed so they can perma ban this guy and also get in contact with paypal about him doing fraud.

G

Yeah, the 3 guys include me....:(
I do wish to believe that the seller is just busy with moving. At lease if one guy claimed the got something from this seller, it might clear us some doubts and worries. But there seems to be none so far.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
yeah in the whole time I've lurked this forum kinda constantly since early Dec. at least I haven't seen a legit scammer that I can remember besides this happening, it sucks.....and gives people a bad name who are new sellers like I was trying to do...I've sold and bought here fine before though.

in the topic another guy said if they don't have heatware it means it's a scam, which I don't believe that at all, somebody could stat-pad a heatware with BS sales so that's not an indication if somebody is a scammer or not.

with as many people who got screwed though, this HAS to be a bonafied scammer. They said they googled his paypal email and it popped up he was banned from some other site too for scamming.

g-unit1111

Titan
I am having the moderation team and our site administrators look into this problem by the end of the day. If you believe that a user is legitimately committing fraud and or/scamming other users, do not hesitate to contact us!

nanoscale

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 25, 2011
I bought motherboard, memory, processor, keyboard & mouse, and I haven't received any updates from him. I filed a dispute last week and pointed his selling thread to paypal dispute team.

g-unit1111

Titan

That selling thread has been moved to a moderator's only section of the forum. We don't want to encourage this kind of behavior here. If Paypal wants to contact us we can give them the information they need to access that thread.

jalseng

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Same, bought keyboard. Already had a dispute going, and Im going to escalate it for review at end of today.

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Just to say it seems like a lot of scams focus around an i5-3570k around here. I had bought from the seller mobzr and after 7 weeks no package for a cpu and motherboard. I payed by gift so I can't dispute. I think It would be valuable to say or change the rules to go against paying by gift or banning for new members to be paid by gift in some form. Is there anything the forum can do to screen the seller before he posts for sale. I lost 180 in my endeavor, but it was a good lesson. There are a few too many scams on here for me to feel safe buying again. Anyhow for the forums and op sake, I had also saw that the seller refused to photograph new pictures saying his roommate left, This is very surprising since most sellers at least have an iphone or small device to take pictures with. This would let you infer that the seller was not in true possession and therefore sold or pretended to sell items that were not his.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
yea that sounded fishy to me too that he wouldn't take new pictures. In 2014, let's get real, pretty much everybody would at least have a cheap camera phone by now they could post pics from.

Also, that sucks about you losing money, we should get that guy mobzr banned. I would also advise everybody to just do paypal and don't even take risk doing this gift payment crap since you're basically SOL if it goes bad.

edit: also, a feedback thing like that heatware site would be helpful, but, like I said earlier, that can just be stat padded by BS sales if you sit there and think about it >_>

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I stopped him from scamming other people on another forum so that made me happy enough. Through paypal there is a gift option, some use to avoid fees, but loose protection. A lot of forums make it standard practice to not allow this payment, and it almost seems redundant that it is not here after looking into the issue. I sent the money without asking where the item was since I thought toms was more stringent and also that it wasn't international. I learned my lesson.
IT was error on my part, but the good thing is it is the money I got from selling older computer parts anyway from a computer that was given to me. I got two from an older man that were from 2008 and he didn't want anymore.

I think there should be a way for toms to secure a paypal or only use reputable paypal addresses. OR some kind of system that can provide evidence through disputes when this happens, since it happens a lot more than it should.

airdeano

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
it'd kinda be an idea that you should have some posting reputation before the ability to post in buy/sell/trade. at least there is some skin in the game from the poster. too many times a sub 10post member creates some "wonderful" deal and inevitably it is too good to be true or just flat scam. would build some kind of integrity on what is being flushed through the B/S/T forum.

but it all depends on what "package" this forum base is and what options they have to select/purchase on what options this forum can control.

jalseng

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
there's a reason paypal has the option for buying goods/services and a gift option.. people dont like the fee, but as a online buyer the seller has to deal with it or i dont really buy from them. For me this is a must as we are not dealing face to face, just "praying" that the seller actually ships it out. This was a dispute can be claimed in similar situations like this. Other times I'll cover the fee (though most places are against a buyer covering the fee and I think paypal is against it as well - not sure though). Paypal isnt bad, just choose the right option for payment, cant always be the nice guy and let people bypass the fees when you get no personal protection..

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
there was a guy selling an i7 3770k and gtx 660 cheap early this year and basically jipped people too, and one guy made a post there that rings true and I still remember, he basically said that, as a buyer, he'd even cover the 3% paypal fee just to be covered from a scammer, and if the seller didn't even want to do THAT then you could smell a rat

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
yeah i bought the gt640. i made a dispute with Paypal last Saturday after he didn't respond. it was like $30 plus shipping so it not awful worried about it but it still sucks. is there anything else i need to do besides make a claim? I didn't provide that much information to paypal. Just that me and others purchase items from him and never received any followup/ conformation.

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
I like airdeano idea. For example only people with 60 days +100 posts may post in deals fourm or something to that effect. id think the posts would be important because it shows dedication. no one is going to write say 100 responses/ threads just to scam.

G

It is a good idea if this forum can set some limitation to allow trade activity.

For using paypal transactions:

For a buyer, don't pay things as a gift. When you pay, add some basic information about the things you are paying.

For a seller, it is better to file a invoice describing the things you sell. I think this is important, if disputes come to you, at least you can tell paypal what, where, when, pictures, etc... Remember paypal is buyer favored when not sufficient information can not lead to judgement. Ship to paypal confirmed address, with tracking. For $250 or more, must use signature confirmation. If you can, purchase insurance to cover any loss, as it will be much easier to let insurance company to deal with any reimbursement.

The above are what I can think of as a protection. It can prevent 90% of the scams.

jalseng

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I say +100 post and people should really look into heatware.. I use hardforums most of the time, but come here once in a while. so maybe my post isn't alot, but I have enough hardforum heatware to make up for that.. depends on what your looking at.. but yeah, still +100 post for people incase there are new people with no heatware. I let seller slide for no heat as people gotta start somewhere, but maybe the minimum post thing for at least sales..

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I also got screwed by this guy. I paid $160 for a motherboard & cpu combo, was told they'd ship the next day. That day went by, he said he'd then ship by Thursday at the latest. Thursday came and went, he stopped responding to emails, and I filed a paypal dispute.

thorin08

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I second Airdeano's suggestion about a posting limit. I too have been victimized on this trading forum (7970 ghz a while back ago). And although scammers will always scam, deterrents will limit the shite posts that we often see.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Although I've never been scammed on here, I'm aware that it happens. I agree with others that a 100+ posting requirement, as well as maybe a 30 or 60 day membership length should be required before users are allowed to create threads in the deals section. Many other forums with sales sections have these requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.