Please help me fight the spyware known as "OpenCandy"

True Colors

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I just imaged a new drive on my PC. I downloaded a lot of the tools that I have been using for years.... VLC player, MPC-HC, Media Info, handbrake, imgburn, stream transport, etc. etc. Most of this stuff is freeware/shareware type stuff.

To my surprise, there is a new form of spyware which seems be running rampant everywhere called "OpenCandy." It installs itself on your computer without your knowledge..... sometimes it even comes embedded into software without any mention that it is there.

Of course, this p1sses me off to no end.

I have no problem with software developers including extraware as long as they are open about it. For example, virtually everyone now offers to install some sort of special toolbar in your browser. It is up to you to make a conscious decision if you want it or not.

I have removed OpenCandy from my computer multiple times already by using MalwareBytes. However, I am looking for a way to take this a step further. How can I stop OpenCandy from ever even installing on my computer in the first place?

I saw the comments below....... I am not knowledgeable enough in this area, so can someone please educate me on whether or not this will work......or if you have any other recommendations that you can make about what can be done.

Thanks,

TC

http://www.techsupportalert.com/con...-program-now-being-embedded-more-software.htm

There are 2 things one should do to install a OpenCandy program.

1. Block OpenCandy servers in the windows host file.

You do not want OpenCandy to spy on you.

Click on your start button, go to programs, accessories, right click on notepad and run as administrator.

Click on file, open.
Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
type *.* and click on host

Add this to the host file

127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com
127.0.0.1 media.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 cdn.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 api.opencandy.com

And click save.

2. Now go to the command line and enter:

"ProgamName /NOCANDY"

The program will now install with no chance of installing third party software & no chance of spying on you by communicating with the OpenCandy servers.