Need help setting up 3 monitors with my PC please!

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys, I currently have 1 Asus VH238 along with a Samsung 32-inch HDTV that I have hooked up to my PC... However I just received a VIZIO 32-Inch SV320XVT from a friend who is moving, which is in brand new condition(Which i'd like to also set-up with my PC so I can have 3 screens at once)! Here is a link to it's specs on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-32-Inch-SV320XVT-1080p-120Hz/dp/B002QPWC4O
and here is a link to what the back panel looks like:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page2/B002QPWC4O.03.lg.jpg

NOW HERE ARE MY PROBLEMOS,
"RBG" input can only go up to 480i correct?... Well they say that the VIZIO's native res. is 1080p, so how could I hook my computer up to it so that I can have it in 1080p?

Also, ANOTHER PROBLEMO!: my PC only has (2) slots in the back, by the graphics card that are both being used, one for my SAMSUNG HDTV and one for my ASUS monitor... So is there a way I could possibly get all 3 of these to be hooked up to my PC at once?
My grapics card is a power-cooler HD 7950

Any help is welcome, thank you!!

Solution
Aren't you already using the HDMI slot on the GPU?

Either way, you will need an Active adapter, whether it's HDMI or DVI. This is how your setup should be:

PC Monitor DVI to GPU DVI
TV HDMI to GPU HDMI
TV HDMI to Active Adapter to GPU miniDisplayPort

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
You should be able to plug the 3rd screen into your GPU using an HDMi cable and a mini DisplayPort active adapter. You must have an Active adapter, so you won't be able to find a cheap adapter to accomplish this.

You need this, or something similar to be able to use the 3rd screen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CJbB6tfqvb4CFciGfgodgFsAZQ&Item=N82E16812996112&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Audio+Video+Converters-_-N82E16812996112&ef_id=U30JaQAAAYzVXf2m:20140521201612:s

Your GPU has 2 extra mDP slots right? 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 2 mDP?

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Really?, I just checked on the back of my pc and there seems to be an HMDI slot open... in theory couldn't I just hook my 3rd screen up by using an HDMI cable ? like HMDI from my PC to the HDMI slot on the VIZIO (since it has 3 HDMI slots available on the panel itself?)

Why the need for this active display port adapter? --- I'll be checking in, just on my way to take my last final in college, thanks again guys I appreciate your help thus far!

OR, is what Im seeing a "display port"? that you guys were talking about... so i'd need a display port to HMDI cable?... (they look similar I assume)? First time I heard of this "display port" ..

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Aren't you already using the HDMI slot on the GPU?

Either way, you will need an Active adapter, whether it's HDMI or DVI. This is how your setup should be:

PC Monitor DVI to GPU DVI
TV HDMI to GPU HDMI
TV HDMI to Active Adapter to GPU miniDisplayPort

Solution

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

Ok I thank you that makes it clear and simple for me HOWEVER, I am curious, as currently I do not use the HDMI slot on my gpu... at all, and I have both monitors running, I think i currently run a hdmi to dvi for 1..... and a dvi to dvi for my other 1

Sorry I am noobish in this field.. and ur help is really appreciated! If you think I should just buy what you said and hook it up ur way ( knowing that way all 3 will be giving me the best performance possible) ill def. do it man... and the adapter thing you linked me is only $30... its a small price to pay to have another monitor up and running IMO, and if you can wouls you explain what the adapter does? and why i cant just plug in an hdmi to the gpu that isnt being used currently straight the the hdmi on the new monitor? like why would that work? Im just not understanding that that.... But again if its quality or what not then ill surely follow your advise to get the best outa them all...

Thanks again for your time on this im really excited to get this going! will b ordering what i need tonight hopefully !

I guess in short im confused about the adapter that you suggested/told me I must have, I dont understand why? and a link to one that you'd suggest me purchasing would help (unless the one your already linked is in your opinion the one I should get).... also would I need any other wire to use with the adapter? as id rather order everything at once... thanks

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Ok, I just checked, and found the box... I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable *(its running DVI from my PC to the HDMI slot on 1 of the monitors)... and the other monitor is straight DVI on the PC TO DVI on one of the monitors...

The HDMI on my GPU is not being used, so I couldn't possibly use a HDMI to HDMI for my 3rd monitor?

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
No, the 3rd monitor HAS to use some sort of DisplayPort. Either mini DisplayPort, or regular DisplayPort. Your GPU is limited to two HDMI/DVI connections, even if you have more ports available. I forget the term, but the GPU only supports two of those connections. You will just have to trust me, but there are plenty of other questions here on tomshardware explaining this, or people asking "Why does my 3rd monitor not work?". The active adapter has a chip built into it that properly converts the signal, which allows you to exceed that limitation.

So if you get the adapter I linked, you plug your final HDMI TV into that adapter, and then that adapter goes into a mini DisplayPort on the GPU. Just verify that your GPU has a mini DiplsayPort. Or if it only has a full sized DisplayPort, then you need to buy an appropriate adapter for the full sized Displayport. I can help you find one if you need the full sized version.

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

Hey, thanks for the reply... Now I understand you about the adapter...

Also, I just plugged this new VIZIO HDTV in and tried to connect it straight from the GPU's HDMI slot but the resolution was distorted... I looked up the user manual for it and it says nothing about using the HDMI slot to hook it up via PC... it only talks about its RGB slot... so Instead of the HDMI cable Im using that DVI/HDMI cable and its resolution fixed as soon as I made the switch...and is now 1920x 1080 ( I guess this HDTV cant be used for the PC via HMDI cable?... )

SO, if this is the case is this a problemo? or is it still okay? can I just use the DVI/HDMI cable from GPU to this, the DVI to DVI from GPU to PC Monitor... and use the adapter from GPU to other HDTV I have had via HDMI from the adapter... ?

Also, while on this monitor I look at websites and notice at 100% in "tools" on web pages... it dosn't look good and the mouse drags so weirdly when I move it... I need to zoom to about 175% ... then everything is alot more clear and crisp... problem is if i then drag something from this monitor to my second monitor... (that needs things to be at 100%..in tools) I need to constantly change it... super annoying...

I dont know, I mean Im looking at this screen and surfing the web for about 10-15 minutes now and my eyes are starting to get really bothered.. I tried watching twitch.tv live stream and the colors looks really saturated or bad or something was off! I also look at my PC monitor that is my current 2nd monitor (asus) and back at this VIZIO and the colors are just so different... its so wierd.. I am just about on the verge of changing back to my other screen as my main and forgetting about this one...

Generally speaking the words/letters look okay.. they are easily read... even at 125% of the webpage.. in tools however the colors are really wierd.. I cant explain it really but they just look pretty messed up, compared to what I was looking at on the other older samsung HDTV...

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Yeah, that would be fine.

About the colors, I have no clue. You should be able to adjust the colors for that specific screen in Catalyst Control Center to find the best settings, as well as use the TVs built in menu to adjust it..

About the mouse dragging "weirdly", I would probably guess that TV is 30Hz, which essentially means it's limited to 30fps. Does it look jagged or jittery while dragging things around? If so, it's probably 30Hz.

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

Eh, the screen is actually 120hz... so the mouse problem couldn't be that....
I forgot I could change the colors in the cat control center =/.. but ive already unplugged it and changed back just because the mouse was so very wierd.. and my eyes after about 45 minutes were really getting annoyed by the screen...

I dont quite know, just seemed very "different" then either of the 2 screens I have now...