Can't delete folders

Elena LaGordita

Reputable
May 22, 2014
For some weird reason, even though I am in the ONLY user account on my pc, which IS the admin user, I keep getting a pop up telling me that access is denied, and I need permission from the admin (which gives me my user name, which is the account I'm in), and when I click properties, it shows that my user account (along with all others including the WMPNetworkSvc) have full control/access.

I was able to delete the individual files within the folders (which are folders I created myself), but can't delete the folders. Can someone help ?

oh by the way......
All this happened AFTER connecting to my laptop from my xbox 360 via windows media center, having an issue, then restoring to a previous date, since then its been acting wonky.

Almost forgot.....
I tried deleting in Safe Mode too as admin, and still gave me the same "access denied, must have permission" messege as when I was in windows normally

Elena LaGordita

Reputable
May 22, 2014

Its an empty folder I created for my music, I tried doing what you suggested, it won't let me do ANYTHING with the folder, it keeps saying that I need permission from my admin account which IS the account I'm on since I only have ONE user account on my computer to begin with, I don't need more than one user account, no one but me uses my laptop.

xcrossroadsx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Right click on said folder and select properties
go to security tab
select advanced
Select Change Owner
Change to your user name (enter your user name is seen in the users folder then select check names)
hit ok
check the box for "Replace all child object permission entries..."
enter apply
close out of the windows you just opened
open properties again
go to security tab
select edit
select add
enter your user name again, hit check names, hit ok
select full control
select apply, then ok
delete the folder. See if that helps :)

Elena LaGordita

Reputable
May 22, 2014

Did that, it didn't work, it kept trying to change permissions for hidden album covers art, and saying denied. But when I check for hidden files and folders, the folder is empty.

xcrossroadsx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Sounds like the file system is corrupted if it is seeing files that aren't there. Try running chkdsk then. (open admin cmd prompt, enter "chkdsk /r c:" and restart the PC. you won't be able to use the PC for ~1-3 hours depending on how big your drive is, be warned)