Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon 7950 performance horribly low after 2 years of use. Why?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

What do you think the most likely problem is?

•  
  •  
  •  
May 22, 2014 7:15:45 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first thread on this forum and I'll try to be as detailed as I can.

Important specs:
Intel i7 3770
Sapphire Radeon 7950
Asus P8Z77 Deluxe Motherboard

So pretty much I've had this Sapphire Radeon 7950 (factory overclocked) GPU for roughly 2 years now. In fact, I've kept all the same hardware for the same 2 years. The situation is that for some reason the GPU has been performing horribly (2 weeks after a HDD format) especially while gaming. I'd literally only get 2-20 frames per second (which is pretty bad compared to when it would run at 60-350 FPS for all games that I play before this unexpected failure happened).

I picked up on this problem after I had opened a program called 'GPU-Z'. It is a free software that reads GPU information and sensors (I doubt that the actual program caused the issue). When I opened the program up, I had been warned that an 'Intel OpenCL bug has been detected' and wouldn't allow me to proceed to use the program. I looked for a while for this OpenCL driver but no luck. This never happened before I had formatted my HDD.

Another suspicion began when I saw that even smaller and less high performance games (such as Counterstrike Source) were running at a really low frame rate. Video and animation rendering is also slow.

I also saw that on my AMD Catalyst Driver was showing 0% Power in the Performance Tab. I don't know if this is just a common software issue or if it is an actual physical problem with the GPU. And before you ask, YES, I HAVE MADE SURE THAT THE GPU IS ACTUALLY PLUGGED IN CORRECTLY.

I'm also suspicious of my CPU, perhaps the problem is not related with the GPU, but with the processor I have. I have a Corsair h100i liquid cooler taking care of it though, so I don't think that is the problem either.

To sum everything up, I am suspicious whether or not this OpenCL bug is the cause of my GPU's low performance, perhaps it could also be old age (I've heard that Radeon cards don't last that long compared to Nvidia cards) or perhaps it could be an issue with the CPU. I'm also considering replacing this GPU if I can't fix it.

I hope that I have explained well enough for you to help me with the situation.
If anyone needs any additional information or answers to questions, I am always able to quickly reply, as I am keen to fix this problem (and hopefully dodge a $400+ GPU replacement).
Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.
a b 4 Gaming
May 22, 2014 7:34:23 AM

It will be a physical issue with the GPU, if you have done all of the above, the card may be having it's last days.
a b 4 Gaming
May 22, 2014 10:34:33 AM

AFAIK an OpenCL fault would point to a faulty driver install but do the obvious first, before thinking about failed hardware which is to reinstall the video drivers, using the latest WHQL certified software (not Beta), even if you have already done so.
!