Modem+Wifi vs Modem + Router

Handoverfist

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hello,

Time Warner recently upgraded my speed from 20/2 to 100/10. I decided to take this as an opportunity to buy a modem so I would no longer pay a monthly fee. When looking at new modems I noticed some have wifi capabilities. Should I stick to the traditional modem+ router or go with a wifi modem? Also, please see the below list of approved Time Warner Modems for my speed:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/enjoy/better-twc/bettertwc_approvedmodems.pdf

Any recommendations would be very helpful I mainly use bandwidth streaming/gaming/downloading.

Thanks

stay away from the modem wifi devices.

in my experience they are getting to hot and they stop working. I have replaced eight of them for my customers with modem + router and never had a call again.

get a SB6141 plus a router.

If you want to have more that one PC connected, you need a router. WiFi is on top of that. (The TW table is confisung on terminology).

Now, you can have modem + router + WiFI combo (single unit, limited to what TW is offering), or have separate modem (TW-compatible) and router of your choice.

You will have less troubles with combo unit. Motorola gatewats are always good choice. Get one compatible with your service.

The feature set and performance of modem router combo devices are generally less then if you buy them seperate. I too have seen many combo devices run hot. Not to mention the selection is much less.

I would get a zoom 5341j modem or motorola sb6141 (both of these will work if tw is bought by comcast and support 8 bonded channels).
As far as router it depends on your needs, I have a dual band tp-link wdr3600 with dd-wrt firmware that works really well.

Handoverfist

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I'm going to go with the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 based on everyone's recommendation, since I have multiple PCs. My router is 4 years old a LINKSYS should I also take this time to upgrade that, if so what do you recommend.

How big is your home?
Will the router be in the middle of the home or in a corner?
Do you have many neighbors with wifi networks nearby or no?
Do you have new devices that can use the 5.0 ghz band?
Do you have old wireless g devices?

Handoverfist

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks for the reply, I live in a one bedroom apartment. The router would be in the back middle of the apartment. Lots of neighbors. The only wifi devices are iPhones, iPads, and printers everything else is done by lan.

Since i dont know what you have and I am not a big apple guy, lookup on google to find if your model of yoru iDevices have dual band (2.4 and 5.0 ghz) wifi.

If they do I would suggest using a dual band router because your apartment is going ot be saturated with 2.4ghz wifi, and that way you can use the 5.0 band on your devices. If you are comfortable with reflashing firmware on router I would suggest the tp-link wdr3600, otherwise i would get a dual band router from buffalo or asus.

If your iDevices do not have dual band wifi radios then I would just get something like the netgear wnr3500l.

Handoverfist

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 450Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch I found on Amazon.

The 4300 is good as well. Very few devices will take adavantage of the 450mbps on the 5.0 band (means it has to have 3 antennas with 3 bonded channels). Now even if the equipment does not have the 3 antennas it can still use it just fine, just at degraded speed.

Now my 3600 was not as stable as I would like until i replaced the firmware with dd-wrt. Prior to that it would require a reboot every few days and the factory firmware does not have the ability to schedule reboots either.