What's wrong with my Monitor, Please Help! Video posted of issue

Virtual_XI

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my viewsonic vx2770smh-led monitor. Basically, the image becomes unstable resulting in horizontal lines that take over the screen and begin travelling to the bottom of the screen. It generally seems to happen when I am opening Chrome, but it will also occur on the main desktop and very infrequently during games (e.g., battlefield 4). Things I have tried:

- Use HDMI
- Use dual link DVI
- Use another screen (panasonic plasma)
- GPU (GTX 770 EVGA) updated drivers
- Monitor drivers are up to date.

I cannot replicate the issue on my plasma, and the issue becomes more frequent after sleep, or fresh restart. Often, once the monitor has been turned on and "warm" I generally don't get the issue, but it's not guaranteed gone. OS is 8.1. Any takers on this one? Id appreciate any help you can give.

Here is a video of the problem.

[flash=320,240]https://www.youtube.com/v/HNFupETYpSc&feature=youtu.be[/flash]

Can confirm that it's been happening every time upon waking from sleep or initially turning on. Again seems to be Chrome related, but closing chrome can still occur the issue to affect desktop for a short period of time. Shutting off the monitor and turning back on has helped shorten the time this issue occurs from.

Solution
Try changing the computer output res. and refresh rate.
You can get very strange problems when a PSU fails.
It sounds like the monitor is just broke and you need to get a new one.
If it has a warranty RMA it.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
If you use another screen and the problem is still there it is your GPU.
Make sure your GPU is not overheating.

Run HWMonitor to see the temps.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If it works with another screen then the screen in the problem.
Ty lowering your computer res.
Plug the screen into another computer and see if the problem is still there.
If not then where back to your GPU.
Make sure your PSU is good.
It may be having power problems.

How to test the PSU:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

You may need to try another PSU, because some PSUs will have an interment problem.
Try changing the refresh rate.

Virtual_XI

Reputable
May 13, 2014
When I had it hooked up to my tv in the front room over HDMI I had none of this unstable graphics quirks. Never thought to test the PSU though. It is worse through my dual-link DVI connection and is much rarer through hdmi with my viewsonic monitor. This also happened day 1 when I bought the monitor.

The GPU temps are good though, I have a custom fan curve. I had kernel panic errors with my old iMac when the gpu temps were too high, but this seems totally different.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Try changing the computer output res. and refresh rate.
You can get very strange problems when a PSU fails.
It sounds like the monitor is just broke and you need to get a new one.
If it has a warranty RMA it.

Solution

Virtual_XI

Reputable
May 13, 2014

hoping you're right Nathan, I am going to go through viewsonic and see, was just trying to gather some info to explain the problem, it's hard to explain what's happening to the monitor.