Buy a new gaming monitor now or wait for G-sync?

coc0nut

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hey Everyone,

I built myself a brand new computer this past fall and it runs great (i5 4670k; 8gb ram; GTX 760 4gb). The only thing is that my monitor is a 5 year old dell ultrasharp that runs at 1680x900. Now that my wallet has recovered from building the computer I am ready to upgrade my monitor to something better. For reference I play mainly FPS games (BF4/BF3, CS, DayZ, Arma III).

The question is this, with g-sync coming "soon" is it a bad idea to get a non-g-sync monitor now or should I wait another couple months and save up the money for a g-sync monitor. The non-g-sync monitor I have in mind is the ASUS VG248QE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313). My thinking is that I could always upgrade it to g-sync later if I wanted and it seems to have really good reviews. Plus Newegg is offering 10% off through Monday which is tempting.

Any help/thoughts/advice are welcome and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Solution

I'm running a single gtx titan on my setup with the 3 of them. Works great for me.

Airm3n

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
You could get the monitor i am running 3x of them and they are a nice quick monitor. Very bright though. The dimmest setting on mine is brighter than others i've seen at max. Be careful though as I believe upgrading them to gsync will void your warranty. Just something to keep in mind.

coc0nut

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks Airm3n I didn't realize that. That's definitely something to consider. What GPU are you running in your setup? I'm just curious.

Thanks RC for the input, much appreciated.

I'm kind of leaning towards just getting the ASUS monitor now and worrying about g-sync later. I know it'll be nice to have but I'm wondering if it'd make that much of a difference for me since I only have a single GTX 760 and a good but not top of the line system. Basically I'm wondering if it makes sense to spend <$500 on a monitor when my GPU was only $300.

Airm3n

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

I'm running a single gtx titan on my setup with the 3 of them. Works great for me.

Solution