New PSU - GTX560ti crashes during gamplay..

AnotherVoice

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hi:

- ASUS p5B
- Core2Quad Q6660 @ 2.4ghz
- Geforce GTX 560Ti (Gigabyte GeForce GTX560 TI 1GB OC "600637" )
- 4GB RAM
- Win 7 Pro 64bit
- Old PSU: Xilence 480x power atx
- New PSU: Arctic Cooling Fusion 550RF-EU (550 Watt)

With new PSU, System freezes (Display freezes) during BFBC2, also Left4Dead 2 (not a high-end game). Actually every game crashes .

Freezes within seconds while running Furmark. Temps for GPU aren't high as furmark freezes

CPU burn in tests succeed, also normal PC usage.

Any recommendations wrt a new PSU ? Anything else I can do? The old PSU handled everything fine (until it died)

Thanks

Airm3n

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
What do you mean temps for gpu aren't high? It sounds like either driver issues or something heat related to me. What about cpu temps?

AnotherVoice

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hi @all

Thanks for your PSU recommendations..

WRT to GPU temp:
- With the old PSU everything worked fine.
- With the new PSU, booting the "cold" system (was off for hours) and starting furmark takes less than two minutes (I guess).. the GPU temperature is being displayed while furmark runs. And basically, the System freezes after 5 secs while the GPU Temperature Display Shows about 55 degrees centigrade -> thats why I said GPU temperature seems to be normal
- I will check the GPU once again Wrt to dust

- CPU temperature? Well burn-in tests seem to work. Working with Visual Studio and compiling on multiple cores works without a glitch.. lets say I have tested about 3-4 mins 100% CPU load.. Still there's no correlation with CPU load and furmark crashing

thanks for your replies

Airm3n

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Perhaps before buying a new psu I would recommend doing a full uninstall of nvidia drivers with something like driver sweeper or something along those lines. Do a fresh reinstall and try again. If that doesn't work perhaps a format of the computer and try it again. That is a cheaper thing to do first as compared to replacing parts.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

AnotherVoice

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hi @everybody..

Just a quick update .. I checked all cables, including the 4-pin CPU connectors and the big 20-4pin MB connector, and took out the gfx Card and fimrly inserted it back again.. reattched the extra PCIe connectors ...

And now ... it runs stable again!

So I guess one of the connectors wasn't firmly attached

thanks again!