Oculus VR Sued by ZeniMax and id Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Zenimax is just angry they lost John Carmack, when they bought Id Software they were also getting Carmacks brain.

The judge will rule that Carkack can continue working for Oculus, but Zenimax will have the right to rip out his brain.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Great, now for those who pre-ordered the DK2 will be delayed and maybe not released because of this whole unnecessary fiasco. *shakes head in disappointment* It's things like this that slows down technology... =(

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
What kills me is Oculus Vr already was up and working before any Vr was added to any game for ID or Zenimax. Only after John Carmack saw Oculus Vr did he write code for Doom to work with Oculus. Somehow righting code for a game is the same as writing code for the hardware. This is so bs it's laughable. Oculus has used the same code since the beginning just refined for hardware. Nothing Id did made sdk's for hardware interface. All he wrote was software translators. Lets go to Vegas to bet on who will win. My money is on Facebook/Oculus. Their now a billion dollar company with huge amount of lawyers. Id hasn't made a good game in a long time and sold most of their ips to other companies then sues them for using it in a way they didn't attend it to be used.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
What kills me is Oculus Vr already was up and working before any Vr was added to any game for ID or Zenimax. Only after John Carmack saw Oculus Vr did he write code for Doom to work with Oculus. Somehow righting code for a game is the same as writing code for the hardware. This is so bs it's laughable. Oculus has used the same code since the beginning just refined for hardware. Nothing Id did made sdk's for hardware interface. All he wrote was software translators. Lets go to Vegas to bet on who will win. My money is on Facebook/Oculus. Their now a billion dollar company with huge amount of lawyers. Id hasn't made a good game in a long time and sold most of their ips to other companies then sues them for using it in a way they didn't attend it to be used.

"Somehow righting code for a game is the same as writing code for the hardware. This is so bs it's laughable."

I see what you did there. Writing vs. righting. :)

czerro

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Zenimax is just angry they lost John Carmack, when they bought Id Software they were also getting Carmacks brain.

Carmack's brain has been occupied outside the realm of gaming/engine development for some time now, which is reflected in his sale of Id to Zenimax/Bethesda in the first place. If it isn't amateur aeronautics, speculative hardware engineering, or VR, he isn't interested. Which I think is essentially the problem with the purchase of Id. Zeni/Beth knew this was the case when they took Carmack on board along with Id. I have to imagine they were aware of his activities and inclinations before purchasing the company (they must have investigated why he was selling in the first place), and been aware of his activities after. I'm pretty sure they gave him free-reign to 'play' on their dime for his name on their products alone, but were they actively funding anything he was doing? We know he wasn't a part of any development over at Zeni. Did Zeni think they literally bought Carmack's brain? When was Zeni funding a VR project? I admit it's a little confusing as to why Zenimax was paying Carmack, or why he felt he could take the money if he wasn't strictly appointed to actively develop technology for them...but that would have come to light by now. They were simply paying him because the only value in the identity of 'Id' is Carmack, and Carmack is/was a big mover in the industry. His name alone attached to something, is big money and hype whether he is really involved on any level or not.

serranogarcia

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
2h7gw40.jpg

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Zenimax got punked by Zynga. Before the FB deal they were still on more or less equal footing. Zenimax owned all the id ip and Oculus was still a new company. They would still need to work and grow together to bring VR to the gaming industry. The Id IP would get preference just because Carmack is most familiar with that code. Now with the FB deal Ocuclus doesn't need them and can pursue the most lucrative deal. I am guessing that Zenimax was will to overlook the loss before the FB deal because they still would benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.