Console Gaming TV vs Monitor

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Is there a difference or benefit when console gaming if you use a monitor or a TV? Just wondering because my friend would always play his Xbox on a Computer Monitor an seemed to do way better than anyone else on our team. Someone told me some TV double the FPS so it looks smoother but actually isn't as smooth.

Solution
Consoles only run at 60hz, buying a high refresh monitor will not do anything for you. The low input lag will help, and the pixels @1080p on a 24" monitor will be smaller then say a 40" 1080p tv so everything will look allot more sharp. other then that you will not benefit much from playing consoles on a monitor vs tv.

Most TV's that say they are 120hz just display the same image twice, its not a true 120hz refresh. i will try to find the link to an article that explains it in more detail.

justcallmetom13

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Computer Monitors generally have a higher refresh rate than TV's, which makes frames look smoother.

I'm not sure if playing console on a PC monitor makes any difference but I would believe it does.

Whoever told you that TV's double the FPS is probably mainly a console gamer and has no prior PC experience and/or knowledge.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Consoles only run at 60hz, buying a high refresh monitor will not do anything for you. The low input lag will help, and the pixels @1080p on a 24" monitor will be smaller then say a 40" 1080p tv so everything will look allot more sharp. other then that you will not benefit much from playing consoles on a monitor vs tv.

Most TV's that say they are 120hz just display the same image twice, its not a true 120hz refresh. i will try to find the link to an article that explains it in more detail.

Solution

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
See that's what I was told. The TV's that say 120hz actually only display the same image twice so it appears smoother than 60hz but really is just kind of an illusion to the naked eye. I just know my friend always bragged how he would play on a monitor an use a mouse an keyboard with his 360. He score proved he was better but I didn't know if it was the monitor helping him or he just doesn't have a life lol