slow lan speed

srujan21

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Hello, I use NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 Router JWNR2000. But when sharing via lan i m getting file transfer speed of 10 mbps. But i heard its speed is 300 mbps . HELP !!!!!!!!

Ok first what speed are you actually connecting at? Lets say you do actually connect at 300Mb/s. This is stated as combined bandwidth, but wireless is half duplex so to compare it to a wired connection you would need to cut it in half. So now we are at 150Mb/s. Now wireless has a ton of overhead. Many sources say as much as 50%. Most of the newer model routers do better than that. A good guess would be you are getting about 60% actual throughput. This puts you at 90Mb/s. Ok now file transfers are usualy stated in MB/s (network speeds, wired and wireless, are usually stated in megabits/s and file storage and transfers are usually stated in megabytes/s). So a megabit is 1/8 of a megabyte. Thus if you are getting 10MB/s then that is like 80Mb/s, which is really close to your 90Mb/s on your wireless. This would be a good transfer speed for that type link. Now if you are truly talking 10megabit/s speed on your transfer, then that is low.