Is my case too cheap for GTX 770?

greg_gn

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Hi! This is my first post here and unfortunately it is a cry for help :).

Few years ago, I've built myself mid-range gaming PC. Specs are as follows:
CPU: I5 3570k
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Gainward GeForce 570 (not phantom, just normal model).
PSU: 700W

I've used cheap Cooler master case which symbol similar to RC-335-KKN1-GP - looks like this: http://proline.pl/pic/cool-rc-335-kkn1-gp_0.jpg (18KB). It has one fan in the back and no fan on the side. No leds as the one on the image.

PC worked for last 4 years (CPU was upgraded 2 years ago) without any crashes - I could play whole night having 99% GPU usage without overheating, all on same GTX 570.

Few days ago I've managed to replace this GPU by Gainward GeForce 770 Phantom and I'm really unhappy. GPU is constantly overheating when pc case is closed. Under load around 85-98% temperature goes up to 83'C nearly instantly. After 5 more minutes, it's 86-88'C and GPU crashes. Game still works in the background, but screen is black. I can alt-tab to the desktop and back to the game - desktop is fine, but game screen stays black anyway.

I'm really worried that my case is the reason why GPU overheats. Should Gainward GTX 770 work properly in such simple case? Maybe my card is faulty and I should except it to work? Card is under warranty.

I would be very grateful if you guys could share your opinion on that or what would you do. Thanks :).

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hey! It sounds as though the card is faulty, do you have another computer you could test it on? Or leave the case open whilst running a game and see if the issue still occurs?

D

Deleted member 1300495

I would get something like a corsair 200R and then add some Noctua fans to it. Otherwise, it may be that the cooling solution on the 770 is failing to work. I would see what the temp is when the case is open, then closed. If different, it's a cooling issue. If same, it's a GPU issue

sourodip

Distinguished
There isn't enough cooling. Get enough cooling and a good case like the 431plus/200R. And for the cooler get a Hyper 212 EVO and some case fans. That should do it. A simply 700W doesn't guarantee reliable performance, give it's(PSU) details.

greg_gn

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Thank you all for answers! Unfortunately, I don't have access to another PC. I've opened the case and GPU temperature was around 81'C. I think it should be lower, especially when case is open. Maybe I'm wrong and just excepting too much... :).

PSU... and here's could be a problem... Delta Electronics - I've to admit, that I know nothing about this company, sounds like I might have another problem here.

It would be great if I could avoid replacing whole case, but I also understand that it might be unavoidable.

D

Deleted member 1300495

I think it is probably because of the cooling solution on the GPU. This is why i always stick with name brands. MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte are great solutions.

Airm3n

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I find myself that the best way to orientate fans are to have bottom and front fans pulling air in. Then rear and top pushing air out. Side fans (if applicable) should be either blowing in if your cooling solution pushes air out of the case( like 780 ti and titan stock cooling) or blowing out if it is the kind that dumps the air back inside the case. These I found gave me the best temps overall for the inside of a case. Hot air rises so you want to push the hot air out rather than recirculate it inside. Even having other cards around that video card would cause poor cooling so if possible try removing (if any) extra cards and see if that helps. What kind of dimensions is this new card as compared to the old one? Go grab yourself a program like evga precision X and check off fan curve setting. That could potentially get noisy as the fans ramp up but it may fix your program temporarily until you can fix the potential cooling problem.

greg_gn

Reputable
May 23, 2014

But 570 works very stable. I also don't understand why it does not crash when case is open, if PSU was at fault, it should crash anyway, as power usage is very similar.

sourodip

Distinguished
Hmm then it's definitely a cooling problem as idsaid earlier..u have to get yourself a cooler liker the hyper 212EVO or first apply the thermal pest(before buying the cooler and see what happens). And also probably a new case. Try applying the thermal pest first.

greg_gn

Reputable
May 23, 2014

Sounds very sensible - GPU is the only card inside. Size difference is not so big - length: 7 mm, height: seems to be same. Maybe it's really too much for this case.

greg_gn

Reputable
May 23, 2014

Thanks - I will try with thermal paste and think about additional cooling (or maybe new case), as was suggested in this thread.