HTPC - First Build - Help/Suggestions

Faisal MD

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
I'm working on my first HTCP build, besides all the basic HTCP stuff and storing my media files on a NAS server, I want to play/rip 3D Blu-ray discs, and connect to a 4K display. Being able to play some -less demanding- games (1080p) is always a plus.

Here is what I'm looking at so far:

Case: Streacom FC5 EVO Black
Motherboard: mini ITX, as I would like to have the option of adding more HDD/SSD later
PSU: picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit

And would really appreciate any help or suggestions for the following:

- What intel processor would fit my needs?
- What ITX mobo should I get?
- With my needs, am I restricted to Windows OS? Or is it possible to go for Mac OSX or OpenELEC?
- Which of these coolers would you recommend: NH-L9i, or Scythe Kozuti?
- Can you recommend a single slot GPU -heat sink size shouldn't be an issue- for Blu-ray disks, and 4K resolution. Playing some games on it would be nice, too.

The reason I might go for a low profile cooler is that some people are complaining about the short heat pipes that come with the case when using an ITX mobo. I just want to have it as an option if the pipes don't reach the CPU or if I'm not too happy with the temps.

I also have one more question, my entertainment room is really close to the living room and I was wondering if there is a reliable way to stream content to it, without having to build another HTPC.

I'm sorry if some of these questions may seem naive or silly, as I've only built a couple of gaming PCs before.

Thank you in advance.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
That is the case I'm getting myself next! Awesome!

I don't think you can fit a cpu cooler in there. It's a passive setup and vertical room is very tight. I also don't think you will be fitting a video card in there but I could be wrong. I know it holds a microATX board, so horizontal space shouldn't be an issue, it's the vertical space that's the problem. There's less than 2.25" of clearance inside. Even if a gpu fit inside, I don't think the power brick would be powerful enough for even a GTX750.

There are other taller streacom cases out there that would hold all of that.

Anyway, I would go with these core parts.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3PSJS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3PSJS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3PSJS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($70.06 @ NCIX US)
Total: $370.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-24 03:58 EDT-0400)

Faisal MD

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
Thank you so much for the input. About the GPU, it will fit using a raiser card. Regarding power, I thought about using an X51 power brick (330w) with it's power board, but I'm not sure if it would work.

The coolers I listed are all less than 2", so I think it shouldn't be a problem. Although Streacom does sell longer heat pipes separately.

I really like the low profile for this case, that's why I didn't go for the taller ones.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Well what's your budget for this? I believe a 65w S model i5 would be fine, but do you even need that much cpu power? The 35w i3 4130t would work if you're really worried about heat. There are kinda hard to find T model i5s and i7s that are 35-45w that would be great. I know the i5 4670t is only a little more than $200.

The GTX 750 and 750ti are definitely the most energy efficient gpus.

I think I would trust the case's passive cooling. The case is not really designed for internal airflow. Even if you had a cpu fan, could the case get rid of the heat efficiently?

Faisal MD

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
Money isn't really an issue for this build. I was looking around on how to stream games from my gaming pc -in my room- to my HTPC and stumbled upon Limelight. It allows you to stream games from one PC to another, and also supports streaming to Mac OS, too!

So I guess I'm looking for a processor that can handle streaming very well with minimum lag, and for long periods, and a GPU that can be hooked to a 4K LCD. Keeping acoustics and low temps in mind.

The case has some vents on top, which will help getting the hot air out, and it also has a lot of vents underneath, to allow the cool air in. But you are right, I will definitely give passive cooling a shot first, since it comes with the case.

I also found some nice low profile coolers made by Akasa, which are even shorter than the ones I listed. The reason I'm concerned about heat is that I will prolly have the system running for very long periods and the passive cooling offered by the case may not be up for the task.

Faisal MD

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
The 750 ti from MSI runs really cool and quiet according to some reviewers, not sure if it would be quiet enough for an HTPC but a TDP of 60W is amazing. It will also be easy to dremel its bracket to fit into the case's single expansion slot. What do you think?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster

Faisal MD

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
I think I'll go with the i5 4670t. Thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

Hahaha, I'll keep that in mind xD

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
My friend lived in a place with floor AC vents so we got a case with two 120mm bottom intake fans and set the case directly over one of the vents. His system idled at around 5-10°C :D

That's about the same as aiming a box fan at a passive case :) I think one 600mm fan would cool it pretty well lol

Faisal MD

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
Wow, those temps are pretty impressive!

Unfortunately I don't have any AC vents on the floor, but I guess I can always use one of these :lol:
sa-1841b.jpg