GPU shuts down but computer stays on during gaming

RTCA

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Hey folks, hopefully someone can help me out here.
Whenever I play decently demanding games, after a certain amount of time (depending on the game) my graphics card will shut down. I believe this is the case because the audible noise of the GPU fans stops, and my monitor shows "no signal", but the CPU fans and the case LEDs are still going. The only way for me to continue is to hard reset the computer by holding down the power button.
The time it takes for a shutdown to occur depends on the game, for less demanding games it can take 40 minutes up to an hour whereas for more demanding games it can happen in as little as five minutes. When running FurMark's benchmark it once happened after no more than two minutes.
I've run Prime95 and memtest86, and got no errors or shutdowns with either of those, even though the CPU temperature got to the mid 60s (Celsius).
Whilst running FurMark, I've seen shutdowns at temperatures ranging from the low 70s to low 80s.
What's interesting is that earlier, forcing the fans to run at 100% through CCC allowed me to play essentially indefinitely, but that doesn't seem to work anymore.
My chief suspects here are the PSU and obviously the GPU.
Here are my specs:
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X AM3+ ATX DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard 'AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CXV2 600W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *3 Year Wrty* Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 Windforce 915MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI Display Port PCI-E Video Card

Solution

Sorry Mate, moving house atm and a bit busy. Yep, the GPU is shutting down from getting too hot. So I'd suggest you return it and get a new one. Good luck to you!

RTCA

Reputable
May 24, 2014
What makes it sound like a PSU problem specifically?
EDIT:
Ah, as an update, actually, I just peeked inside the case and noticed one of the GPU fans wasn't spinning... Could this be the culprit right here?

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

Sorry Mate, moving house atm and a bit busy. Yep, the GPU is shutting down from getting too hot. So I'd suggest you return it and get a new one. Good luck to you!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS