Building and selling computers for profit?

Jesse Wood

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I've been thinking about ways to make profit, one thing that I've thought of is building and selling custom computers. I know a lot about computers and all I'm looking to pocket is about 100+

So my question is, would it be possible to start an operation in which someone asks me to build them a certain computer, they give me a price, and then I build it.

Say they what a gaming computer for $700.

All the parts I buy add up to about $600 not including screen, keyboard, mouse, etc (just the machine)

I sell it to them and there is my 100 dollar profit..

Would this work? Thanks..

Solution
I've tried it, and the thing is that there just aren't that many people buying desktops. You'll get a lot more work fixing computers, and for that just make a Craigslist ad. If you build somebody a desktop, they may have complaints, it's too loud, I got a virus, you need to let them know you are building them a computer, not providing a lifetime warranty. Give them your number and CHARGE them to fix it, unless it was your error of course. Keep in mind you want it to look professional, route wires perfectly, don't let one get stuck in a fan or something.
You could try making a Craigs list ad. Sometimes it works to go through friends and family, it's not uncommon that they might know someone that is in the market for a computer.

Also, be sure you are willing to support these machines after selling. People will want your help if anything goes wrong, especially if there is a hardware failure.

I've tried it, and the thing is that there just aren't that many people buying desktops. You'll get a lot more work fixing computers, and for that just make a Craigslist ad. If you build somebody a desktop, they may have complaints, it's too loud, I got a virus, you need to let them know you are building them a computer, not providing a lifetime warranty. Give them your number and CHARGE them to fix it, unless it was your error of course. Keep in mind you want it to look professional, route wires perfectly, don't let one get stuck in a fan or something.

Solution