New graphics card(nvidia gtx 750ti)

zombiedan51190

Reputable
May 8, 2014
OK, to start, I have to backtrack a bit. Right around the time Battlefield 3 was coming out, I upgrade my graphics to a Radeon 6950. I actually had to purchase a new power supply with the card, because it required a at least 600W to run it(I ended purchasing a corsair gs600 from best buy). The card failed on me in about a year. I don't know if the card was defective or if I ran it into the ground, but I was receiving artifacts, so I have to believe it was heat that killed the card. I actually never monitored my GPU temp, up until now. After that unfortunately the computer sat around collecting dust for about a year((I started using a laptop primarily). About a month ago I got all up an arms about getting the thing up and running again. I borrowed my buddies old radeon hd 4650, just again to confirm it was the card itself that had malfunctioned, and not any other component. I did a little gaming on the 4650 and was really surprised at how hot the card got. I mean, I know the card is at least 5 years old, but I didn't even try to push it that hard, just light gaming, and it was reaching at least 95C, and sometime 100C(Idle it sat at a consistent 50C) . I know GFX cards are usually capable of taking those kinds of temperatures for a while, but that leads me to the next part of my story. I decided to drop the cash and get a better card. I ended going with the Geforce GTX 750ti, seemed like a good bang for my buck. This card not on handles graphics intensive games very well, it never seems to go over 50C(25C when idle!), even when gaming on very high setting in games like ARMA 2. I was starting to blame my case and wire management for excessive heat, I assumed that was what killed my card, and was making the old 4650 run so hot. But now I'm starting to think it may have been a faulty 6950, and that fact that the 4650 is a pretty old card. Do Radeon cards normally run hot, or is that just product dependant? Do cards run hotter with age? I just don't know how I could have killed a card so quickly, although as I said earlier, I am now conscientious of my GPU's temp, so hopefully that will prevent anymore hardware damage.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The GTX 750 Ti is one of the coolest running mid range cards available thanks to Nvidia's new Maxwell architecture. There's no comparison to the cards of even a couple years ago. All that gaming power at only 60W. Maxwell is Nvidia's next gen design.

Assuming your case has good air flow and is well ventilated, the older cards will eventually start running hotter as their thermal paste dries out with extended hot use. I like to replace my TIM every couple years (if I keep a card that long).

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey,

I had my 6950 up until about 2 months ago and it never reached higher than 78 C and this after hours of intense gaming. Usually while gaming it would hover about 68-70 C and this with the fan set on 41%.

In general the temps would depend on what cooler your GPU had. If it was a reference card then yes, you could expect higher temps but since you've never really monitored them then we have no way of knowing.

My card was MSI Radeon 6950 Twin Frozr II and that cooler was really good.

five_pictures3_2241_20110104111847_m.jpg