Will I Be Able to Live Stream Game play in HD? (Connection speed and PC Specs)

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Okay, so basically I just moved back home after graduating college and I was able to live stream a little bit back at school since the connection was phenomenal but I'm not so sure if I will be able to at home.

This is my current connection speed:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3522706024

I know that there are some streamers who stream in 720p with a 1.8 upload, my upload is just a little bit higher than that, but my download speed and ping aren't all that great so it has me a little worried. As far as my PC specs go I know that my PC can handle streaming but I will post the specs here anyways just so you all can get a clear handle of what I'm dealing with.

PC Specs:
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7870
CPU - AMD FX-8320
MoBo - Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
RAM - Dual Channel DDR3 (8GB)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I hope to hear from some of you very soon :)

Solution

coleman318

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Your computer specs are good to go. Also depends on what games / content you are trying to stream. The download speed is going to be how fast your computer responds and how much latency you experience in the game. Your upload speed will determine how smooth the streaming is for other people viewing. Honestly 1.8mbps is not a lot for upload. Who is your internet provider? Comcast has three tiers of internet download speed, 25 // 50 // 105 (250 and 500 in select areas). Even the lowest speed tier 25 mbps down is 5 mbps up. I would recommend 50 down and 10 up *even better 105 down and 25 up*. So I would have to say no, its not enough upload to stream quality content. Just my honest opinion in just knowing about networking.

Solution

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

See that is exactly what I was worried about. The provider that my parents use is AT&T Uverse where as when I had my own apartment at school I used Comcast. I know that Uverse has an option for a 45mbps download and a 5mbps upload so I will probably just upgrade the connection to that.