RAM not compatible with mobo?

Charleslegrand

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have two 2gb sticks of RAM installed for a grand total of 4gb; when I add a third stick of RAM (same product as ones installed) in the appropriate slot as per mobo manual, it's BSOD with "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" issue displayed after the next boot-up. My mobo (according to Gigabyte's website - Gigabyte ) does not support RAM at 1600mhz; however I have used it for many years now but I wonder if using unsupported mhz is linked to issue. And whether I should stop using supported mhz.

Does it make sense to buy the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) to replace my old RAM? Is it a good product?

My setup:
- mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R r2 (never messed with flashing bios so should be stock version unless something updated without me knowing)
- CPU: i7 920 @ 2.67ghz (never messed around with overclocking)
- GPU: nvidia geforce GTX 560
- PSU: 600W OCZ mod xtream pro
- RAM: 4gb of G.Skill DD4-1600 PC3-12800 (two sticks of 2gb)
- case: NZXT Phantom
- storage: SDD Samsung 840 PRO 120GB + other misc drives
- display: Asus VG248QE @ 1920 x 1080 + Dell E196FP @ 1280 x 1024

Thanks!!

I don't know.. intel had the tri channel boards but I figured that if it don't support tri channel you need to do the duel channel set up on your board [1-2-or 4] [opinion]...
though your sticks are the same unless they were in a matched kit theres no guaranty they will work together stable. all ways best to buy memory in fully matched kits...

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I dont think that your problem lies with the unsupported memory speed. Usualy mobos downclock the memory to a supported speed. In other words if your memory is running at 1600Mhz then it should downclock to 1333MHz.
I know someone with that same motherboard who has 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz memory which is working fine from 2009 till today.
I did some research on your board and this basically just verifies that you can run tripple channel on your board

http://www.gigabyte.co.za/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305&dl=1#ov

"the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R also supports triple channel DDR3 memory for blazing fast memory performance."

So this narrows down what the problem could be quite a bit.
Either something wrong with your dimm slot, the memory itself or neither but rather a BIOS issue. You should consider flashing your BIOS to later version if available. Make sure to find the bios that fits your model number and the revision (rev 2.0) in your case as you mentioned.

yup your board is a 3 channel board so that's out of the way and heres the memory support list

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-x58a-ud3r_v2.0.pdf

and as said above it will default to a lower speed until you go in the bios and set it up manually or set xmp profile ... seems like the memory you got should be good to go

but as I said that 1 new stick your trying to add is the issue so I feel your back to what I said about non matched memory not in a kit sometimes you get away with that some time not kits are factory tested and matched to work as a kit single stick are just what they are single stick use and did not mach up well to be part of a kit.. but that's just how I look at it and buy my memory...