Newb Buying a Pre-made Gaming Rig

CaptainGG

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Hi there guys,

I am looking to buy a pre-made gaming rig and have been looking at some second hand sites (craigslist, kijiji, etc).

Here is what I am HOPING to get out of it and what I am dealing with now:

The only game I really play is Dota 2 but I would like to have the option to be able to run more graphically demanding games like battlefield.

Here is where things get a bit tricky: I have a 30 inch monitor running a desktop resolution of 2560x1600 but when I currently play Dota 2 I have to scale down the in-game resolution to 1280x1024 because my computer just can't run it at max (I still do, however, run the game on high/very high graphics).

With my new rig I'd like to be able to run Dota 2 at a much higher/maximum resolution with very high graphics quality. Additionally, I'd like to be able to run something like battlefield on high graphics at high resolution (not necessarily at maximum, that would be a bonus).

Here is a pre-made rig someone is selling:

8gb ram
Sapphire r9 290
MSI 4670k gaming edition
I5 overclocked to 4.5ghz
Coolermaster CPU cooler
530 watt psu
Corsair 230t case
128 gb SSD
1tb hdd

Asking $850 obo

That is all the information provided. I also feel like I may be able to talk him down to the 750-800 range since he originally listed the ad at $1000 and has dropped the price twice in the past 2 days.

A) is this a good deal? If not, what price would be a GOOD deal for this setup
B) would this rig be able to meet my high resolution gaming demands?
C) if both of the above are NOs, what is my best bet on a budget of ~$750 including tax?

Thanks so much in advance for all of your help, I'm new to this all and trying to learn more!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A) For me it would not. But I'll leave that up to you. Do you have a link to the PC?
B) yes. But your high rez display will bring down any gfx card. The R9-290 is a good option, however.
C) -

But that 530W PSU bothers me. Find out the make/model of it.

CaptainGG

Reputable
May 25, 2014

They did provide the mobo info. I'm asking about the brand of PSU though since the wattage seems kind of low now that I think about it.

CaptainGG

Reputable
May 25, 2014

Why would this not be a good deal? The GPU is rated at as good or better than the GeForce GTX 780 and while the processor is not an i7, it should stand up to the games I'm throwing at it no?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, the processor is very good and the card is very good. If those were all new parts, that would be a good deal. But it seems a bit high for used. Or is it new?

The PSU is the sticking point until we know the make/model.

jaraldo

Honorable

Unless I'm misreading something, all I see is "MSI" for the board, this is just a brand and not the model.

MSI 4670k gaming edition
I5 overclocked to 4.5ghz

I'm assuming it's just a typo and he means the i5-4670k OC'd to 4.5Gzh

jaraldo

Honorable
^ I believe that to, way less worries that way.

About your PSU, don't know why I didn't notice before, but 530w is very odd. 520w or 550w is more normal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014070&IsNodeId=1
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1927338

Now it could be others, but I'd think that they'd be even worse brands than the ones listed above.
http://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx

I think we can say for certain that the PSU will be junk. So you need to add on $45-50 for that.

The other problem being that who knows if that PSU didn't damage some parts already.