I believe i have blown a head gasket. it looks like oil and water are mixed in my radiator overflow. there isn't any water in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Do not use that for a head gasket leak. I would use it in a pinch for a rad leak, although I'd use ground pepper before as it flushes out much easier and still seals. The problem is when the vehicle is running, which you need to do for it to work, the oil will be at a much higher pressure than the coolant so it will not seal properly. It'll cause you more hassle in the long run than fixing it properly. I've had too many engines come in to my shop with people putting different stop leaks in for those issues and it becomes a more expensive repair over it.
Alden is correct on how it could be the oil cooler as well but I've never touched one of those vehicles before so am not sure of the cooler layout. Unfortunately I think it's a head...
do you know any mechanic friends?reason i ask is that sludge will smell like oil.any tech will recognize the smell.that having been said,does this van have an engine oil cooler connected to the rad?how does it run?are you going thru coolant? yes,it does sound like a head gasket but to be sure answer my other questions.i hate giving bad news,but if i have to i want all the info i can get to be sure.

heather0307

Reputable
May 26, 2014
My dad took a look at it today. It is oil mixed in with the water. The van has been running hot, but i never let it overheat. It would only get hot with the a/c running and as soon as i shut off the a/c it would cool down. Have you ever heard of liquid copper that seals the crack? If so what do you think? I bought a bottle but I am affraid to use it. Thanks so much.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Do not use that for a head gasket leak. I would use it in a pinch for a rad leak, although I'd use ground pepper before as it flushes out much easier and still seals. The problem is when the vehicle is running, which you need to do for it to work, the oil will be at a much higher pressure than the coolant so it will not seal properly. It'll cause you more hassle in the long run than fixing it properly. I've had too many engines come in to my shop with people putting different stop leaks in for those issues and it becomes a more expensive repair over it.
Alden is correct on how it could be the oil cooler as well but I've never touched one of those vehicles before so am not sure of the cooler layout. Unfortunately I think it's a head gasket though.

Solution
the sealer would,at best be a stopgap if it even worked.that stuff is for cracked heads.you would still be overheating because of all the oil in your cooling system.to even complete a diagnosis the heads will have to come off and get pressure tested for leaks and planed if necessary.now back to the oil cooler.if it has one i would have the rad taken out and pressure tested.if there is a leak between the rad and the cooler this will find it and to do the head gasket the rad has to come out anyway.this wont be a cheap fix either so be suspicious of a quote anywhere under 1200 to 1500$.im working with canadian currency.that quote is for replacing the head gaskets and dont be surprised if it comes out in excess of 2000$.at any rate if there is an engine oil cooler have the rad checked first.

md1032

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At this stage I would dump the car, hate to say it. That is way more mess than I'd be willing to put myself through for an 11 year old vehicle that wasn't particularly good to begin with.

Jerseytool93

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

I have a 97 ford F150 4.6 litre with a blown head gasket mine looks more like Clumpy old milk and its on the oil cap when you unscrew it and you can see it in the radiator reservoir

Greenllama67

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

I have one. Mazda protégé 2003 my car is overheating and there is a lot of oil in my radiator also it gets over pressurized and is coming out of a couple different places under the hood. The cap and my overflow I put a lot of water and coolant in trying to get it to a parking lot and now I'm worried if I try to get it home I will permenantly damage my car. It smokes sometimes just when the oil is on the other parts of the car and it overheats. But then I shut it off. Before it gets to H so I don't know how bad it is

Status
Not open for further replies.