Future of home computing beyond 2014

Faisalk

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Hello All,

This is just something me and my friends were discussing about the other day. I would like to share this with the community.

What is the future of home computing in the next 10 years? A home based application server which can be accessed from a thin client like Chromebook, a tablet, or a smartphone. This server would not just hold your media like FreeNAS, but all your applications will be installed on this server and will be run from this server. The server will also have applications to diagnose your automobile, monitor your home appliances, connect and manage your finances, consolidate your social networks, maintain, update, and manage your health records, a single sign-in for all web services, and a single purchase point for all your online shopping. All connected with a VoLTE/LTE Advanced networks. This could be a pre-build server or a license bought on an Amazon like cloud service. This can also be a hybrid between a home and a cloud service to balance the performance, privacy, and security of the user. Again, these kinds of architectures are already in use at the enterprise in much more advance level but this is something that will come to the home user at some point in the near future.

So what do you say? Yes? No? Maybe? Please share

sounds like a "help me do research for a school report topic" to me ......... but i'll bite

---

doubtful.

while most certainly the technology already exists and even some homes use some similar features its not going to be a widespread thing in only 10 years, mostly because of cost and security issues.

-cloud carries risks like data loss or theft
-wired ethernet or wifi is faster than cellular lte
-all this tech being linked is very expensive so would only appeal to the rich
-running from a central server means lag for programs as well as needing programs to all be touch capable
-would you really trust such a system to handle your finances?
-what happens if someone hacks your system?

there will be more crosstalk between devices in 10 years and even some of what you say however its still going to be limited.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I think this thing about the cloud is a little utopic. It's like saying in 20 years all the cars will fly and be electric. I think the reality is a little different. I think there will be more and more services online and on the cloud, but to say you will have to run your games and MS office on a server is a little wierd.

I think the industry will change in a way we cant really imagine before we get there. Just my opinion

The cloud thing isn't going to last, not how I see it going. Sure it'll stick around to back things up for a bit, but wi-fi will never be faster than already having everything on your phone. I think tablets will replace desktops, and phones will replace tablets. People want everything to be accessible, and everybody already uses them for everything. Once they have the capabilities of a desktop, desktops are going to be limited to a niche for gaming and other intensive programs.

As for what phones will be, I expect them to become a bit bigger, possibly with space for heatsinks and a keyboard. As they are right now, most do not even have heatsinks, and this causes huge thermal throttling issues. My Nexus 5 for example throttles from 2.2ghz to 1.1ghz when playing music, down to 800mhz if I play a game for too long. I expect that if the market accepts larger phones, it will allow them to really have the processing power they need to take over the market. Their main limitation is you simply cannot do the things you can do on a tablet or PC.

Just my idea. Something else I expect is augmented or simulated reality. Take a look at Google street view, you can basically walk around ruins. It screams video games. I'm not sure what it will be played on, probably desktops at the start, and then maybe the Oculus Rift or other similar systems will gain traction. But I think at some point games are going to be played in "real life". And if not, we already have the technology to "walk" around some really cool ruins.