Change blocked modem settings

DavidRMF

Reputable
May 26, 2014
I recently got a new internet service contract to add a secondary gateway in case of shortages with my main connection since I do work a lot from home and also I'm trying to set up a simple but nice home network with several internet services (web pages, mail, file sharing, etc.) that may become a small business eventually.

They installed an Arris DG950 modem and wireless router that ships with a default LAN IP Address of 192.168.0.1/24, which is outside the range my network is configured to use to communicate and I would like to change it to the static IP I selected for this device out of the available pool. Every time I go to LAN Setup > LAN IP Settings, input the IP, hit the apply button the router gives a pop-up that after a reboot the settings will be applied and that I'll need to access the new IP manually. Then it reboots and comes back with the exact same IP it had before.

I called in for support suspecting settings were being blocked by the ISP so that only they can change them when required, but they simply feigned ignorance and said that it is not possible to change it and refused to do anything of the like of researching the matter. I'll keep on struggling with them some other time.

With that said, I would still like to integrate this gateway to my network and I see 3 options: kind of hack into the device to unlock the settings or write them with the values I need under the hood (which shouldn't be necessary), get another modem/router that may work with my ISP but that is not owned by them (hoping it doesn't get the settings blocked as well), configuring the use of this device through a server as a bridge (which may require some guidance to do starting from: will it be a proxy server? Are there other options to that? Etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help! Just reading through all this deserve my thanks!

There is no hack to a device that is locked, all you can try to do is to reset it to factory defaults which may clear out any ISP needed information from it also. The issue is that you are using a gateway not a separate modem/router. Just ask them for a regular modem and use your own router if you want more control.