Help choosing a router

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hi, I am in need of a new router. The current one I have, Belkin 750n db, just isn't doing it. I find myself resetting it more often and it keeps kicking people from the wifi. Currently, as for what is attached to the router, 4 smart tv's, 2 wireless printers, 6 computers (2 wired and 4 wireless), and 5 phones, of course more when people come over, and a few unimportant wireless devices.

Now, I would like some help in deciding what router to get. My budget is 200$-250$ but of course cheaper would be better. I have looked at some routers but I really have no idea what to get, and one that can handle way more than what I have.

It would be of great appreciation if someone could suggest a top wireless router that they have had experience with and would easily recommend. Thanks

shure

Reputable
May 18, 2014
I asked on here but didn't get a reply, unfortunately. From my research I've found that the Asus RT-N66u is rated the best router in its class and the one I'm going for. It is very fast and has a strong signal, is dual band and would fit your budget easily. It also has an easy to use interface and is reportedly easy to set up. The only negative I have heard is that Asus support is somewhat lacking but if you can live with that then fine.

If you are in the market for an ac router then again the Asus RT-AC66u should be worth a look. It has everything the N66u has but is also 802.11ac compatible. If you are looking to future-proof then this might be a better bet, although you would need to buy some wireless ac adapters to get the benefit for your client equipment. It is more expensive but again would fit your budget. Personally, I went for the N66u as it reportedly has slightly better 802.11n performance and I would rather that than get the next standard I may not use for a while.

Both offer all the features your Belkin does and more besides, including wireless print server. Both are also well within budget: on Amazon the RT-N66u is $129.99, while the RT-AC66u is $169.99.

Good luck in your search!