Socially responsible hardware companies?

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
As the title says, I am looking for some socially responsible computer hardware companies. I was wondering if anyone of you had opinions, experiences or actual facts about companies that are actually socially responsible? We spend hours reading on how to make our computer 1 millisecond faster or add a couple fps in our favourite games, but how about finding companies that actually respect the environment, respect their workers, respect fair trade and give good wedges etc…

I am stating to buy parts to build my new PC (first time) and I am willing to spend the extra money in order to support companies that are proud to be socially responsible.

I was trying to find some information, but there is very little online. Only sections of the manufacturer's website, but for some reason I don't trust it all that much.

What do you guys think? Do you have any information or opinions on this matter?

Thanks

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
You have no real chance to find such information, one big problem with electronics is that parts of product are manufactured by many different companies each have different policies and you can't in half cases even track who are all those companies who made components.

As example notebook. You will buy it based on name on logo? manufactuer of chassis, cpu, ram, motherboard, display, odd, gpu, keyboard, battery, ... ?

In short it's pointless to try to look for such info because you won't find it. Even if would one company state they follow XYZ.... policies for fair treatment, they won't guarantee it for their subcontractors.

EDIT:
Also what you wrote are quite absract terms. You would need to quantify what you think is fair trade, good wages and how you think respect for environment looks.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for your opinion, but I think this is not pointless. I think it's important to vote with your dolar to make a better world. Some people asked better living conditions in my country (way before I was even born) and I am very greatful for it and I enjoy those conditions now, it's only natural I do the same thing for others. Don't you think?

As for the abstrat terms, these terms are very well known and you can google them if you do not understand them. Respecting the environment is common sense. Basically, is the company actually trying to make a better world (after the profits of course) or trying to just make profits and the hell with the rest?

As for the laptop question. If I buy a sony laptop and I know most parts are made in Japan, I can *kinda* know that the product was socially responsable. Like I said, it's really hard to know and that is why I am here asking questions.

But I am wondering if some companies go their way to promote this idea. The food industry has some very well established stardards now in place with fair drade practices and organic products, the clothing industry is starting as well. Wouldn't it be logic to see high tech companies do the same?

I think foxconn putting nets under the dormitories where the employees live so they can not commit suicide is wrong, therefor I will never buy apple products. Like you said foxconn is not actually Apple, but it's Apple's responsability (IMO) to make sure they do business with socially responsible companies, just like I am doing now.

you might think that sony is made in japan but you would be wrong.

some components (capacitors, screens, chips) may be made there but most of the assembly and other components are made in china and we all know how low the wages are and what conditions exist in such shops, regardless of who is running them.

the trouble is that if you follow the path back to the source, almost every single product has such origins for at least one component or another.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

I know sony is far from being 100% clean and I never said they were. I was just using it for an exemple. Maybe if most parts are made in Japan it's a more ethetical product.

But that's why I am here, I'm hoping to find a company that takes pride in being socially responsable. They would have my hard earn money for sure :)

I was also curious to know what people think about it. Seems like people just accept it and just look for the best deal, even if it's on the back of working kids or modern slavery. It's kind of sad that most people just shrug their sholders about it.

Desmond tutu once said:
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

Your capacitors may be made in Taiwan your heatsinks in Vietnam your RAM in China, almost every part is outsourced except the main-board. The process is always the same and strictly regulated, so there is no "eco-friendly circuitboard" because every component is essentially the same. The most eco-friendly thing you can do is get a used part that somebody is just going to throw out. No brand will be any better than the other, MSI may have a low pollution method of creating one part but have the worst for another. It's also not specific to the whole brand, just the model. So basically, there really is no way to guarantee you're getting the most socially responsible part, because at this point in time, there is no such thing. However, recycling is always a good thing.

The worst component for the environment is probably the case. You can build one or salvage one, those are easy to find recycled/trashed.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for your answer ewok93,

This is a good explanation. It's a valid point for motherboards and other high-tech parts. But I don't see why the metal for my case can't be recycled or even the plastic from my mouse or keyboard cannot be recycled?

I know most parts come from here and there, but it would be nice to see a company like HP or Sony (for exemple) to say, we only buy parts from socially resposable factories. It's not an easy task, but a lot of food and clothing stores / brands go the extra mile in order to ansure that the product is socially responsable and I am willing to pay the extra premium, hopefully more people are willing to do the same. Why not computer companies? What do you think?

You bring a good point about the environment, it's very high-tech industry and I admit it could be hard to do 100% recycled products. But nothing stops them to make sure the employees are well paid and have good working conditions. I don't think it's fair for a company like Apple to sell you an Ipad for 700$ and make billions in profit every year when the poor employee at foxcoon are treated like a slave with very low wedges and on top of that they have to breathe alluminium dust. As a matter of fact, they are so badly treated they want to commit suicide.

Anyway, the search continues :)

@ToineF - the only way a company may be "social" is if it is privately owned, and the owners want it that way. Public companies have shareholders that want stock price to be high, which means keep expenses low. No CEO will risk his multimillion salary just to keep the world "happy".

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Alabalcho, you are 100% right about that. Your fact is correct, but does it make it right or morally acceptable? I think not.

if people started asking the companies that and would vote with their wallet, things would change quickly. The food industry is the perfect exemple. Lots of people make tons of money selling organic food and product certified in faire trade. Still place for improvement, but it's doable.

USAFRet

Titan
And Sony is one of the worst as far as intellectual property rights. Multiple instances of restrictive, intrusive, DRM over the years.

"socially responsible computer hardware companies" ? They're all about the same. The individual components all come out of the same factories.
Can't be done in todays market.

You might be ready to spend an extra 25% for such a machine. Most would not.

it doesnt make it acceptable, however that is capitalism for you.

people do vote with their wallets and the majority care more about the price than they do about where it comes from.

lets say that a product was made entirely in the usa or japan. not many people would pay $1200 for something that other people are paying $600 for when its made in china, assuming of course that the quality is the same. if it cost just a bit more then probably however labor is so expensive thats not very doable.

even if we wanted to do such things we cannot. quite simply most countries do not have the factories and equipment to do so anymore. we have installed them in all of the other countries while such industry has long since moved out for the most part. it would take billions of dollars to reverse that and create some new factories and then the products will cost more so will not sell. who is going to pay for it?

i agree with your sentiments however i do not think its going to change. at least not until a significant world event occurs.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

You're right, I understand capitalism including the horrors and the good that comes with it. I was driving home from work today and I thought about it a little bit. You know, if the consumers actually made big car companies construct hybrid and electric cars, I think there is a little hope for a better world.

I understand that people want the cheapest at all cost. IMO there are two ways to fight that.
First one would be for the buyers (us) to demand and buy responsible products. If everyone demand it, they will offer it quickly.

Second option would be a political will. We could easily tax foreign products or the govt could finance the industry. Here in Canada, the govt taxes cars made outside of canada so you can actually get a good deal on a car made in Canada. Keeps some jobs right here.
Also, I work in the book/print industry. the Canadian govt and the provincial govt give grants for each books 100% made and printed on Canadian soil. That way the money from the govt kind of evens out the rebate you would get from printing in China. It keep a lot of jobs here and I guess the govt calculates that the money from those jobs pays for the grant which is a win win situation.

Anyway, my initial question was to find out if any companies were actually proud to advice their fair trade practices, but it seems like it's a dead end. But at the same time I was curious to know if people on this forum actually paid a little attention to these issues.

I'll keep looking :)

I think a majority of people buy organic food because they view it as healthier, and people buy hybrids to spend less on gas. And by getting a recycled case, I mean use a case somebody else threw out in a new build. A more efficient power supply will also use less power, so you can look for an 80+ platinum for the highest efficiency. But no, there are no hardware manufacturers that advocate green technology.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

That's just too bad we can't find such a company.

And yes all these reasons you mentioned are selfish reasons unfortunately, but I'll take it.