get GTX 760 now or keep waiting GTX 800 series ?

a82320

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
personally want to wait for the GTX 800 series GPU this summer, but as far as I know, because of some 20nm architecture-thing went wrong, I don't think I can get it this summer.

well then, a EVGA GTX 760 superclocked (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product) is my choice now, do you guys think this is good time to buy at this price? or in prediction, will nVidia release 800-series GPU soon? with same old architecture?

my current GPU is EVGA GTX 560 SUPERCLOCKED, and CPU is i7-2600K, 8GB RAM, all in the Asrock P67 motherboard..

PS: well, did not really like AMD GPUs, so..I just stick with nVidia..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The GTX 760 is a great card. A real sweet spot for cost: performance. But the next Nvidia cards to come out will no doubt be Maxwells. If they are anything like the little GTX 750 TI, they will be worth the wait.

Worth waiting for if cost is an issue, that is. But if you can afford to get a 760 now and sell it and upgrade when the later Maxwells come out, that would be even better. Your i7 is definitely being held back with the (once fine) 560 SC.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
The last time i read up on the 8xx cards it was looking like Q1 or Q2 of 2015 if not longer, something about the chip mfg was having problems, so it put everything on hold for AMD and NVIDIA. it could be a long wait. =(
Go for the 760 now and have fun. Let the new cards come out and give them a chance to work out any bugs. just my two cents