Surface Pro 2 & Intel XTU - Overclock/Underclock

Vonkzilla

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hey everyone,

Been looking around the internet and cant find any articles regarding the Surface Pro 2 & Intel's XTU program.

I have the surface pro 2 (2nd gen w/ Haswell chip) and im wondering if anyone's tinkered around with intels XTU tuning app? ive found some similar threads but they all pertain to pro 1 or pro 2 first gen w/ ivy bridge or whatever it was.

Im asking because i was wondering if i could push my surface in both directions. I Have set up a couple different battery profiles. tablet mode (extreme energy saving), working mode (medium settings to allow some basic editing software), and gaming mode (full bore, pedal to the metal). I would like to be able to switch to tablet mode, and to another profile setting saved in XTU that would possibly under volt my system to conserve even more power. and of course the opposite, to turn on gaming mode, open up XTU and load another profile that gives the little guy some more juice hopefully giving me a few more FPS.

Im fairly new but have a basic understanding of overclocking (clock speeds, volts, multipliers, ect) but its something i need to read through before i do it myself. I know this is just a surface we're talking about here, im not going to OC beyond what im comfortable with, even when doing so ill have it on a cooling tray and in a place where my ambient air temp is relatively cool. Just wondering if i could squeeze a couple more mins of life into it in power saving as well as gain some FPS while im gaming.

Looking forward to discussing!

Thanks,

Matt

Vonkzilla

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hey,

Thought after a full 24 hours i would of had some Input from some of you locals.

I have just installed some more modern games on my surface to keep me entertained while traveling. installed BF4, NFS S2, and Skyrim. all games installed flawlessly and run decent on lowered settings. i have only started the games and not actually played them yet so i haven't monitored temps or anything yet while under a gaming load.

Specs:
surface pro 2
Intel i5 4300U
Inted HD 4400 graphics
4GB DDR3
120GB SSD

anyone have any thoughts about undervolting this thing to achieve a longer battery life, or the opposite and giving the GPU and small OC using Intel's XTU??

Would love some feedback on this!

Thanks,

Matt

Kinda looks that way.

Why don't you just give IXTU a try? Knowing Intel and MS, it's prolly locked down pretty tight.

Yogi