Will the CoolMax CU-700B (700w) power supply fry my 280X?

Chazzen

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Now, first of all, not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area, as this is my first time actually making a post on here.

Now on to the question...which is basically the title. I just upgraded my GPU to a 280X and I wanted to go about installing it, but saw that the lowest it would take is 850w. So I did some research and it seems that this Power Supply has a bit of a record for "blowing up" so to speak.

Now, I just wanted to know if it'd be safe for me to actually plug the card in, or if this really is an issue with all the CoolMax PSUs?

If need be, I'll just wait to use the 280X until I have the money to upgrade the Power Supply.

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The 280X does not need a 850W PSU. Where did you see that?! However, it needs a good quality PSU with a strong +12V rail(s). Your Coolmax has the specs to run it and more with its three +12V rails rated at 18A, 16A, and 16A @ 570W. The only problem is the poor quality of that PSU. It is not one of the best. But you will be OK to install the card and go.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one.

A-TOP Technology
Apevia
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Coolmax :bounce:
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA
Dynex
EagleTech
FOXCONN
FSP Everest
HEC Orion
Hiper Type-R
Huntkey
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
In Win
JPAC COMPUTER
Just PC
Kingwin Inc.
Linkworld Electronics
Logisys Computer
MGE
MSI
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
NorthQ
NZXT
Okia
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rocketfish
Rosewill
SFC
Shuttle
Skyhawk
Spire Coolers
Star Micro
STARTECH
Thermaltake Purepower NP
Thermaltake Purepower RU
Thermaltake TR2 (and TR2-RX)
TOPOWER TOP
Ultra X-Connect
Ultra X2 >greater than 700 watt
Ultra LSP
Wintech
XION
YoungYear
Zebronics

Chazzen

Reputable
May 27, 2014

My mistake, I meant 750 watts. And it says it on the box.

(apologies for the snip, was a bit too long to completely quote)

Also, you both say two different things...a bit confusing. I'm more of a GPU/CPU guy, with no clue as to PSUs at all. If you could clear up what would be safe and what wouldn't be...and maybe a PSU I could get instead? Hopefully one that wont break the bank too much...as I've just spent most of it on the 280X. Somewhere around $50-$75 (a bit higher maybe)?

Thanks for the responses. Just still a bit confused on the whole thing.

Chazzen

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Ok, I think I may have found one that should be better than my current one, and wont completely break my budget...is it a good choice?

www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Bronze-CX750M/dp/B00ALK3KEM/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

EDIT: Alright, well, I've decided to get this one as a temporary one so that my computer doesn't explode (hopefully). I'm getting the newegg version instead, though.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, and this question has been answered technically...so...yeah, not sure if I have to select that somewhere or not, or if it auto does it. But yeah.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
We didn't exactly say different things. I said the Coolmax was poor quality and not one of the best. Blackbird took it a bit further with a more dire warning. I just don't have the same fear of it failing quite as catastrophically, is all. But upgrading to a better one is always wise.

Chazzen

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Well thanks guys...I also found out what that ticking noise was...it wasn't the hard drive like I thought...it's the PSU ;P

But yeah, it should be here within a week, so I'm just going to be patient and not even tempt fate and plug in the 280X.