To upgrade or to replace? Need help ASAP!

sacs4010

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Let me list my current system:

Intel i7 2600K
Cooler Master V6 GT CPU cooler
ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866
Coolermaster 800W Modular Power Supply
Two EVGA GTX 560 ti 448 Cores Classifieds running 2 way SLI
Samsung 128GB SSD 840 Pro Series (Running Windows 7 Premium 64bit)
Corsair 90GB SSC Force
Toshiba 3TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
WD 1TB Hard Drive
WD 1TB External Hard Drive
DVD Player
Coolmaster HAF 922 Case
ASUS PB278 27" LCD 4K Monitor running at 2560x1440

Basically my GPUs are burnt out. So I would like everyone's opinion as what I should do. Should I just replace my GPU with a GTX 780 ti with 3G memory or a GTX 770 with 4G of memory? I was not sure what would be better since I am running a higher res monitor. I am referring to one card having 3G of memory and the other have 4G. Of course the 780 has more cuda cores. I am really only playing MMOs like SWtOR and WoW. Or should I just purchase or build a new computer? I was looking at the Digital Storm Vanquish 2 level 4 for about $1300. I need to make a decision ASAP. Thanks everyone for your help!

SnakeGTX

Distinguished
The 780 is going to have higher FPS, because it has more cuda cores and stuff like that. Yes, having more GPU memory helps with higher resolutions, but a 1GB difference in memory isn't going to really help. The cuda cores on the 780 is going to get the FPS higher. 3GB memory is enough for 1440p.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

Yeah keep the system you have. There is not really any reason to trash that $1k system (or close to that).

MMOs aren't super demanding, you could get by with a $240 GTX 760 if you wanted to. $500 for a GPU just to say that I have high FPS isn't really worth much, atleast in my opinion.

sacs4010

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I agree SnakeGTX, but I rather be safe then sorry. I was be super pissed if what I bought did not handle what I wanted to do. Plus I would like a GPU that will not get out dated completely by next year. lol

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

That's not good. The 2.0 is slower than the 3.0. But graphics cards are only now starting to use the 2.0 to its max. So if you use a card like a GTX 780 ti, then it will bottleneck it some. Its going to hold it back, and probably drop 10-20fps (just a guess).

You could try to get a new mobo with PCI-E x16 3.0, or just go with a lower end card. Like the R7-260X or GTX 750.

I would help you find a new motherboard, but pcpartpicker.com is down right now. It will probably be up in a few hours.

Right now, my motherboard has a PCI-E 2.0, and I am running a Radeon HD 7790 1Gb (R7-260X) and I can play Battlefield 4 with the same FPS people can get with the 3.0 socket.

Once you go a step up from that, you will probably start noticing some bottlenecking (R7-270, GTX 760).

So I think right now, you should go with a lower end card, or get a new mobo and higher end card. It just depends how much money you are wanting to spend just to play MMOs.

sDGam

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
The 770 has less performance than the 780 Ti but is much less expensive.
Based on some benchmarks, the 560Ti SLI is a bit inferior to the 770
The 2.0 pcie wouldnt much of a problem for 770. Dunno about the 780Ti (propable bottleneck)
Note that the Gb's of the card memory doesnt declare the winner. You only need more memory when you run multi-monitor setups @ high res
If you play only MMOs and not high-end GPU demanding games you wont need the 780 Ti.
If you go with the 780Ti i'd suggest you buy a new pc to avoid any bottlenecks and have maximum performance

sacs4010

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I am starting to believe the same as both of you. I have to do something though. These two video cards I have now are pretty much burnt out. They are useless. Tonight I am going to try the on board graphics on the MOBO if it even has it. I need to figure out what I would like to do ASAP though. I am more worried that I purchase a new GPU and it turns out my current (broken) video cards have messed up my MOBO and I just wasted money on a new GPU when I need both a new MOBO and GPU. Sorry for the run on sentence. lol I am running two monitors, but the other is not as near high res as my main. I also only use it as a second monitor, not for playing games on dual monitors. For example playing WoW on my main monitor and watching Netflix on my second monitor.

sDGam

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
If u buy the gpu and it turns out you need new Mobo etc. you can just upgrade the whole pc while keeping the gpu.
About the burnt gpus. Are you sure they are burnt out? Have you tried running only the low res monitor on them or use 1 w/o sli etc.?
The mobo will sure have graphics but it wont be able to support the 4k monitor

sacs4010

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I have tried everything with my current GPUs. They are not completely burned out, but worthless right now for gaming and causing many system issues. The MOBO I have right now does not have an on board GPU.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished
I disagree that they are useless. Since I have a worst graphics card than those 2 you have, and I can play pretty much any game I want on medium setting.

But if they are causing you system issues, then you should get rid of them. But you should probably make sure the GPUs are the problem, and not something else.

sacs4010

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
lol Trust me, it is the GPUs. I do not believe you understand. Both of them have dual fans. One of the GPUs has a fan that has been broken to pieces. The other card has so much droop that it makes its fans rub so hard that it shakes my apartment. I am really not exaggerating.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

Well yeah I don't understand, you haven't explained until now. Yea, in that case, they are useless.

You should probably get a new motherboard and GPUs. Maybe a new mobo and CPU, if you want something up to date, even though the 2600k is going to be good for gaming.

sacs4010

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
So I purchased a ASUS GTX 750 Ti GPU. I installed it a few hours ago. I wanted a cheaper card to see what the results would be. There seems to still be issues with my PC even with the new GPU, though they are not as severe. I believe I will purchase a new computer. I will use my SSDs and Hard Drives from my current system in my new one.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

Still issues huh? Seems like either the GPUs or the PSU ruined the computer/mobo. If you want to save money you could try to just pen point the problem then replace that part. But if you don't care about money, then just save yourself the time and build/buy a new PC.

(If you are building a new PC, I might be able to help with putting the parts together)

TRENDING THREADS