GPU temp, usage, and fan speed high while monitor sleeping

Paynus

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I have my system to never sleep except the monitor after 25 mins. After it goes to sleep the card will raise 30c from it's idle temp and the fan will go from 30% to 70% usage. Once I wake the monitor up with the mouse the temps goes back down and so does the fan.

windows 7
gtx 760

no idea what is causing this, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Saar Koren

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Really weird. Only thing I can think of is maybe you have some complicated screen saver that uses a lot of GPU power. I think screen savers still run sometimes even when the monitor sleeps. Check if you have a screen saver. Also if you have another monitor, see if it does the same thing.

Paynus

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
nope, don't use a screen saver and only have one monitor. I usually leave steam running and a firefox browser but i shut both off and have nothing running and it idles fine. Then, once the monitor goes off it starts to go up, as soon as i wake it the temps go back down.

maybe i should just leave my monitor on all day?

Saar Koren

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
You could leave it on all day, or simply turn it off when you're not using it. What is your monitor's name? Maybe if you look it up you can find other people with the same monitor and problem.

Paynus

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
i guess ill just switch off the monitor when i walk away, better that then letting my card go crazy all day while i'm at work. thanks for the advice.

Jun 4, 2014
You might have a bitcoin mining virus. They are often programmed to run when a computer which makes them difficult to detect. Try running MalwareBytes in addition to your virus scanner. Also try disconnecting your internet the next time you are leaving your computer and see if that makes a difference when you come back.