GTX 580 overheating issue

jesusgotnailed

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Hey guys, I've had my EVGA GeForce GTX 580 for a little over 2 years now (Feb 2012). Here is a link to it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

My problem is that over the past few months I have noticed it becoming extremely loud when I'm playing my games. I checked the temps and fan speed with AIDA64 - the GPU temp is reaching 96, even 98 degrees Celsius with the fan running at 85% ~4500rpm. That is way too hot even for the 580 right? What should I do.... look into getting it exchanged with EVGA? I clean out the insides of my computer and the components every couple months, most recently only a couple days ago.

Thanks guys!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah as above, thermal paste is probably dried up and not doing a good job. Get it changed and you should be good. You need to use a little more on them Fermi GPUS as they have a rather large heatspreader.

jesusgotnailed

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Alright guys.... one hour and a pair of bruised fingers later - I cannot unscrew the screws required to get the cover/heatsink off. They are stuck as hell. Is my only option to RMA the card now?

mr91

Distinguished
RMA if you're still under warranty.

Hopefully you didn't do anything to void your warranty when trying to remove the fan.

Maybe EVGA will send you back a newer card.

jesusgotnailed

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Yeah I am, they're stuck. I am stripping them. My screwdriver head is fine but the screwdriver itself is very small so I can't get a solid, strong grip on it.

I didn't do anything to void the warranty... just can't get the damn screws out.

Edit: Any idea how long the RMA process takes for EVGA, guys? Wildstar just came out so being without a card will bite big time.

mr91

Distinguished
Below is a link for their warranty conditions, I've never went through the EVGA RMA process, I suggest you call them.
EVGA has excellent customer support...

My guess is the process would take 1 or 2 weeks however it could be faster if they receive the product right away.
I recently Went through the process with another hardware vendor and it took just under 2 weeks however I sent my component via registered snail mail.
If I sent my product via ups it would be much faster.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/