Will a R9 290 run 4k?

Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
Ok, i have been looking at 4k montiors and have been wondering if a single r9 290 would be able to run a 4k monitor at playable framerate? If not then would 2?
The monitors i have been looking at are the asus-pb287q and the AOC U2868PQU plus the Samsung U28D590D which one is better?
And my last question is would 1080p ultra look better then 4k medium for games?

Solution
we're pretty far from gaming at 4k. one gpu will definitely not pull it off right now. i wouldnt bother with a 4k monitor until gpus are on par with it for gaming.

bit early for 4k right now. unless you want to dump a boatload of cash into your gpus.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
we're pretty far from gaming at 4k. one gpu will definitely not pull it off right now. i wouldnt bother with a 4k monitor until gpus are on par with it for gaming.

bit early for 4k right now. unless you want to dump a boatload of cash into your gpus.

Solution

JaredzzC

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

This ^^^^

You'd need to crossfire the R9 290s if you wanted to have a chance at playing at 'playable' frame rates (60)
but even then, it's not guaranteed you'd be able to pull off the highest settings; more likely medium depending upon the game.