SSD failed, swapped in another one and it failed after flashing my BIOS. What could be causing this?

SnyperBunny

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I was in the middle of playing Minecraft when my computer totally locked up - reboot to find that it is not detecting my SSD boot-up drive (OCZ Vertex 4). I swap it over to a working computer to check it out and that computer is also not detecting it. I figure that it simply died - not unusual for older SSDs as far as I know.

I have another SSD (Mushkin Chronos 120GB) lying around (replaced it in the other computer a few weeks ago under suspicion of it causing blue screens) so I put it into my computer and format it and re-install windows figuring that occasional blue screens are preferable to not having a working computer at all. So far so good, windows installed.
Now I flash the BIOS since it was out of date. After flashing the BIOS, the computer boots with the message "Boot drive not detected" which is the same as it gave for my original dead drive.

So I put this SSD back into the other computer to check it and lo and behold, it is also not being detected now. It was totally fine until I flashed my BIOS.

This leads me to believe that my motherboard or something is killing the SSDs.

The interesting thing is that throughout all of this my 2TB HDD (Western Digital 20EARX) has been running flawlessly. Whatever is happening is not touching my HDD.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on or what I can do to bug-check/locate the problem? (Was I just super unlucky and had two SSDs crash withing 20 minutes of each other?) I feel like I will be replacing my motherboard and SSD, but dont really want to replace the motherboard if I do not have to, however I would be so mad/sad if I replace the SSD and my computer just fries it.

More system info:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Processor: Intel Core i5
Graphics card: ASUS GeForce GTX 660
Power Supply: Corsair TX550M
RAM: G SKILL Ripjaws X F3 8GB DDR3