Intel HM65 Express Chipset. CPU Upgrade from Sandy to Ivy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanuts

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I have an Asus X54H(Intel HM65 Express Chipset) with an Intel Pentium B940 processor. I would like to upgrade it. I already checked for compatible processors with my chipset on Intel's website. What I would like to know is if there is someone who tried to do an upgrade to this model of laptop/chipset/processor with an ivy bridge processor. Is there a bios upgrade necessary? Thanks in advance.

I have a similar laptop the X54L and it really isn't worth the hassle. To start with these laptops have a limited upgrade list and what ever you upgrade to won't make a huge difference in performance. On top of that there is no easy way to upgrade these laptops. I'm pretty sure the X54H is similar to the X54L and you are going to have to tear the whole laptop apart to upgrade it. If the performance is really that bad you are better of just getting a new laptop it really isn't worth the headache for such a small performance gain.

thedanuts

Reputable
May 28, 2014

That list contains the processors that were chosen to be sold under the X54H name. The list of compatible proscessors is quite a bit longer. http://.

logainofhades

Titan
The bios only supports the chips listed as options for that laptop. What the chipset supports is irrelevant if the bios doesn't support the CPU. My laptop, for instance, had an i7 2630qm as an option, and therefore, is supported as it will have the necessary bios support.

thedanuts

Reputable
May 28, 2014

Wouldn't a BIOS update or rewrite solve that problem?

Bogdan Busila

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
As a matter of fact, I just installed a core i5-2410M on my wife's asus X54hr - sx065d and it's flawless. The last bios for this model - 205 - has the microcode required for all CPU ID's until Q1 2012. I replaced the stock B950 with a Core I5-2410M. Also I know for a fact that a core i5-2520m also works on a K54HR MB with bios 205 (Installed on a friend's K54HR). many CPU's work on this model, but keep in mind that maximum TDP has to be 35W. I will try a more powerful Core i5-2540M, Core i7-2640M, and a Core i7-2630QM (although I doubt the quad core I7 will actually work, or if it will, i'ts gonna be a liithe hot in there.)

thedanuts

Reputable
May 28, 2014

Thank you for your answer. Yours is X54HR. Mine is simply X54H, but the difference appears to be the graphic card. My BIOS seems to be 208. Does the upgrade improve laptop's performance in a visible manner? For now, I chose to buy a SSD over a CPU upgrade. I looked for a Core i5-2540M at the time, but I am more interested of the results of putting a quad inside.

ricsgone

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
[Upgraded my B960 in an Asus X54C to an i7-2760QM and it never blinked. Performance rating went from 3.4 to 5.7 (graphics) was the lowest. Dramatically improved performance and hasn't hiccuped once. Disassembly of an Asus laptop is pretty cut-and-dried and fairly easy. Good luck and go for it. Just make sure all of your drivers and firmware are as up-to-date as possible as well as the latest Bios for your laptop. I'm actually going to try an Ivy Bridge i7-3720QM in this thing and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.