So what's the deal with 4K?

Do you expect to switch to 4K within the next three years?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Probably, will have to save up money for a 4K setup

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably not, will have to wait for prices to go down

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No, I'm happy with what I have now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Is this going mainstream sooner than expected? I saw a Samsung 4K monitor on display at Best Buy and it's selling for under $700. Is it worth getting? I know that my current PC hardware is not up to the task of handling 4K (specs in my signature) and running Crysis 3 on very high settings at 4K resolution would make my CPU beg for mercy. I have been building a decent collection of Blu-ray movies during the last three years after finally jumping to HD, but now do I actually have to replace my finest Blu-ray movies with 4K versions already? If 4K starts becoming a new standard in about a year from now, then I would not only be investing at least $500 for a 4K display, but also spending a fortune in a 4K rig (i7-5930k, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX Titan Z quad-SLI). It seems all too unrealistic now that this 4K technology would sneak up on us so fast.

socialassassin

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I'm looking forward to large 4k displays for my home theater, but I think smallish (~27") 4k displays are total overkill. A nice 1440p monitor would look great and you don't have to spend a fortune on a GPU to drive it.