Need help picking new monitor

tappeddarkman

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Right now im using a Acer B273H. Its a 27" 1080p 60hz tn monitor. Its been good for the most part, but i would like to upgrade a little bit. I cant decide on whether 120/144hz or ips would give me the most benefit. Since i'm using a tn 60hz panel i think either would be better, but i would like to be satisfied with my purchase. My budget is around $300usd.
I was sold on the Asus VG248QE, but i heard that the Benq XL2411Z is the better monitor. The main reason why i'm considering a 144hz monitor is because i heard it helps with eye strain. I was reading that both monitors have problems. So i was thinking that maybe ips is the way to go, but i have no clue.
I play a lot of games, but also watch a lot of movies. I mostly play fps style games.
I know there are Korean 1440p monitors that you can overclock. but i have seen a few posts where people that have 120/144hz panels say that they still look like they are at 60hz, and they say its a placebo. So i dont think thats the best option for me.
Would a 144hz or ips monitor be a better investment? and why?
What monitor would you suggest buying? and why?
Again my budget is around $300usd. I am using a evga 780.
Thanks

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
no that will not help eyestrain the htz thing only applies to CRT's because of their flicering, if you have eye strain assuming its from text work you want a large low brightness monitor with deep black levels but the ppi cant be to low, so for eyestrain it would be best to get a large VA panel their is a Benq one on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014300) however just try reducing the brightness on your current monitor to as close to ambiant as possible

tappeddarkman

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone else? I have gotten 2 completely different suggestions. which doesn't help me too much :)

My brightness is set to 44 out of 100 right now. I'm pretty sure its not only when i read text.

tappeddarkman

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I would have to say most of the time i game, but there are days where i don't game at all. I do read a lot of text, but i'm not a coder or anything. I also look at pictures, but im not a photoshop pro.

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
hmmmm yeh if your talking about eyestrain either a VA or IPS will be better because of better contrast and collor depth but those are worse for gaming becuase of response time and possible ghosting, of course if eye strain is really a problem you can just find a eye doctor and ask for them to prescribe you computer glasses (which similar to reading glasses)

tappeddarkman

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Eye strain isn't that big of a problem. It seems like i only get it if i'm already tired. So if VA or IPS helps eye strain at all, it should be fine. What monitors would you recommend? I said my budget was around $300usd, but i might be able to spend more. It would be nice to have a 1440p monitor, if the price was right. So maybe a few at $300, $400, and $500?

I'm not sure if you have a 1440p monitor but if you do(or anyone else), is it worth the extra money?
I haven't been keeping up to date with monitors. Is there a monitor that people cant pass up?
-Thanks