Second monitor goes to sleep using a DVI to VGA splitter.

Kyle Ames

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I recently bought my second monitor which is the exact same model and type as my main display, Problem is I bought a splitter as stated and plugged both in...the main display works as it always did but the second one turns on and then goes to sleep as if it doesn't recognize a second port.

I have a Radeon R9 2XX series graphics card and two samsung s22c300 (model number) displays.

Solution
Even if you get it working, the best you are going to be able to do with a splitter is get a mirrored display. Your PC will treat the two monitors as 1 and both will display the same picture. To use two displays you will need to connect each monitor to a physical port on the graphics card (through a converter if necessary)

You will get a significantly better picture quality if you dont use VGA. For example, connect one display to the HDMI out port on your card and then get either a DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI converter for the other display.

mgolus

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Even if you get it working, the best you are going to be able to do with a splitter is get a mirrored display. Your PC will treat the two monitors as 1 and both will display the same picture. To use two displays you will need to connect each monitor to a physical port on the graphics card (through a converter if necessary)

You will get a significantly better picture quality if you dont use VGA. For example, connect one display to the HDMI out port on your card and then get either a DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI converter for the other display.

Solution