system upgrade based around i5 4590?

nine0nine

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I used to be a regular system builder about 6 years ago and was up on all the ins and outs of hardware but since I sort of lost interest in keeping up, I have totally lost the plot!

I wanna upgrade my current system (core2duo 3ghz), Just keeping my HDD and GFX which are less than a year old as they replaced failing parts. At the moment I think my ram is threatening to die and I suspect my motherboard's PCI-e 1.1 is a bottleneck for my graphics, as I have some framerate issues since upgrading to a 1440p monitor.

So I am looking at a CPU, Mobo, PSU and Ram purchase, primarily for photoshop but later down the line I want to add a new gfx card and play a few games, although I am not fussy about getting the utmost performance in that area.

Looking around (and being ignorant to AMD CPU's) I get the impression that the i5 4590 is good value and seems like a solid start to a mid/high end system build.

Should I go for this and if so, which MB and ram should I go for? My gfx is a Radeon HD 6450 which should do the job before I want to play games.

My budget is around £400, but can stretch a little if needed.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished
I agree that Intel is the way to go with CPUs. The i5-4590 is new and seems to be a great CPU since its pretty much just a oc 4570.

So here is a good build, with all the stuff you asked for.

This build does have upgrade options in the future, but not much because of the lower PSU wattage. You could switch PSU for a The Corsair CX600 or EVGA 600B (£35) if you were wanting to upgrade in the future.

Before you buy this, you probably need to make sure your case is for a ATX motherboard.

And the GPU you have is very low end, so you might want a better GPU. Even at about £415 you could also add a GPU in there.

Here

nine0nine

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Thank you SnakeGTX! That looks perfect from a quick glance. I am actually living in China, but find it too hard to think about these sort of purchases if I dont use my native currency. Assuming I can find the same parts here, I will look into blowing my cash early next week when I'm done with the weekend work.

Thanks again!

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

Your welcome, glad I could help. It will probably be more expensive is China, so understand that you might be spending an extra £55-120. But with shipping from the UK, it would probably be just as much.

nine0nine

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Graphics cards and motherboards seem cheaper here, but CPUs are about the same. As my Mandarin is poor to say the least, I have to use my usual places to get rough prices, then traul Chinese sites trying to find the same products here.

nine0nine

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I've just spoken to an online trader about the bundle and he's come back to me with this

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Lyw7P

The PSU I would be getting is the 550W version of the same line (not listed on partspicker) but the seller will do me that bundle for the eqiv of £310 (plus del), with a Antec H600 CPU cooler for an additional 40quid

As hard as I try I cant see any difference in specs to the system SnakeGTX has provided, so should I go for this or pester other sellers, bearing in mind I am £50 under my budget at the moment.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

Yeah, that build should run fine. I just don't trust NZXT to build good power supplies. Really, the only difference is that my build has a better brand PSU, not more powerful, but just better components.

The NZXT PSU should still power the computer up, and run it fine.

nine0nine

Reputable
May 30, 2014
He suggested the nzxt psu as i said i wanted a modular one, i think he has some other big brand but non modular ones.

As im a little under budget, i could maybe upgrade a component, or maybe get more/faster ram, where would you spend an additional 40-50 quid?

Many thanks :)