Corsair VS 650 vs XFX Pro Series 550 vs Coolermaster GX 550

CaptainAngel

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Hello guys I'm back.

So I finally bought the gigabyte gtx 770 but my psu(corsair vx 550) couldn't run it so I'm looking at other options.

I'm already over my inital budget, so money matters. I won't be going for one that can support sli in the future or anything like that.

Options then:

56 euros: Corsair VS 650: Bottom of the line Corsair psu, 3 years warranty, 50amps on 12v rail, barely off the 80+certification(85% maximum efficiency I think).

57 euros: XFX Pro Series 550w: Good quality psu, 5 years warranty, 44amps on 12v rail, 80+ bronze,

Coolermaster GX 550w: Available used for 10 euros less, around 3.5 years of warranty remain(5 year total), 44amps on 12 v rail, 80+ bronze. CM psus get bad reputation for some reason, but 5 year warranty can't lie.

So I wanna be able to easily run and maybe OC even further the gigabyte gtx 770. I also want to O/C the cpu(i5 3570k) close to 4.5 ghz.
Quiet operation is important. It's hot over here(Greece) and my psu sometimes goes crazy in the middle of the night, while I'm trying to game.

Do you think the 6 extra 12v rail amps on the VS 650 will be worth the 2 year less warrany and no 80+ certification?
Will I be perfectly fine with the XFX and enjoy the 5 year warranty, 80+bronze and better quality overall?
Or should I just save some money and get the coolermaster?

If I ever upgrade it will be for a maxwell chip which will probably consume less power. I'm thinking that the gtx 770 wants 42 amps on the 12v rail. It is making me a bit uncomfortable that the XFX and CM can only provide 2 more than that. Any OC will make the margin even smaller. Am I being paranoid?

I guess bottom line is, is it worth getting the slightly less quality+efficiency psu to get the 6 more amps?

Thanks in advance.

Scampi

Reputable
May 26, 2014
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

For quality, the XFX 550W , tier 2 Class A - Excellent quality units, if not, as good as the Tier one class of units. For people who have a limited budget, but still want a reliable unit for the price.

For pure 12v output, the Corsair VS 650W, tier 3 - not ideal for serious overclocking.

I'm discounting the Coolermaster GX as it's used. I wouldn't use a used PSU for the sake of 10 Euro.

+1 Pretty much that.

P.S.: Where did the upvote button go

CaptainAngel

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Excellent reply. Convinced me to go for the XFX. Got it two days ago and it's great.
Very quiet even at full load and hot days and looks effing BADASS(goes very well with the gigabyte gtx 770 looking from the side window). I think it also enabled me to OC the i5 3570k at a stable 4.5 ghz.

Any way to select this as best answer?

Thanks a ton and to anyone else that tried.

TRENDING THREADS