Warranties: What companies offer (non-third-party) extended warranties?

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Title pretty much sums it up. I know that Nissan offers extended warranties on their vehicles, but most manufacturers do not. Does anyone have a list of what vehicle manufacturers offer official extended warranties, and which ones do not?

Google has failed me.

Solution
I appreciate the answers you've given, but I should probably add some additional information since there seems to be a misunderstanding.

Addition Info Point #1: I'm not looking to purchase a vehicle or an extended warranty. But if I was, you guys would have given me extremely good advice.

Additional Info Point #2: I work for a company that sells extended warranties. The reason I am trying to learn this information is because I'm in customer service, and I get customers calling in frequently. I feel that the more I know about the business, the better prepared I am to assist those
people, and to answer their questions accurately. (Seriously, I mean assist. I'm not in a sales position, lol)

Additional Info Point #3: @tachybana Your...

tachybana

Distinguished
Really research this. I went through the hassle of trying out an extended warranty for 30 days. It was only then that i was able to really research all of it and noticed it flaws.

#1 Ask yourself if the abuse you give your car will ever amount a repair bill to more than what the yearly cost of the extended warranty is. (if not, then get into the habit of saving $150 a month for future care repairs)

#2 Most plans will ask you to submit the repair bill before approving repairs (and will ask for a deductible of up to $100 for each repair)

#3 What you think might be covered it isn't. It where you will end up paying out of pocket and say to yourself, "What good is this policy for?"

#4 Some will ask you to repay the cost of repairs if you canceled the policy before the annual period. (read your contract. they will tell you over the phone that they cover everything, just for you to buy your policy. If you're not careful you'll spend more than 1hr asking questions like i did.)

#5 Very important. During the 30 day period in which you get to figure out the policy (some) will not allow you to make claims and may charge you a cancelation fee after the 30 days. Maker certain you check it through.

Best Luck

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I appreciate the answers you've given, but I should probably add some additional information since there seems to be a misunderstanding.

Addition Info Point #1: I'm not looking to purchase a vehicle or an extended warranty. But if I was, you guys would have given me extremely good advice.

Additional Info Point #2: I work for a company that sells extended warranties. The reason I am trying to learn this information is because I'm in customer service, and I get customers calling in frequently. I feel that the more I know about the business, the better prepared I am to assist those
people, and to answer their questions accurately. (Seriously, I mean assist. I'm not in a sales position, lol)

Additional Info Point #3: @tachybana Your point about it being better to save $150 a month for repairs is excellent advice. I just wanted to say that. Warranties are a gamble that more often then not, you will lose money on, although there is exceptions. Furthermore, the laws recently changed about the 30 day review period. While most companies still say you have 30 days to review, they're legally obligated to give you a full refund within the first 60 day period. Most companies also offer an extra premium on the initial cost to go with the $0 deductible option.

The main purpose for my question is that I would like a general list of companies that provide official extended warranties. A lot of companies do not, but rather the dealership will sell extended coverage on the vehicle through a third-party, and then let the customer believe it's official. The customer often gets tricked into canceling with us for a less effective policy. That hurts our sales and it also hurts the customer. I would like to be able to tell a customer "That manufacturer does not offer extended warranties. The dealership sold you a warranty like ours, but from a different company."

You guys are awesome, thank you in advance for your help. Also, since the cats out of the bag, let me know if you have any questions about the warranty business. I can answer many of them for you.

Solution

tachybana

Distinguished
Thanks for pointing that out.

Try working down the chain of the most popular manufacturers and see how that worksout.

Honda (purchased a extended warranty through them back in 2006 for 5 yrs, was very happy with the service)
Toyota (i believe they do this as well)

Best Luck