Need GPU advice, info in OP

Beastis

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Hi all, I will be moving soon and have decided to leave my old PC here and get myself a new one. I'm a 3D Visual Art student and my PC is a bit dated, hence the decision. With some help I put up a configuration but am still not decided on a graphics card. I would appreciate the help! Onto the info:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: late July 2014
BUDGET RANGE (GPU ONLY): €250-€300 ($340-410) - willing to pay a bit over if it's worth it

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: ZBrush, Maya, Keyshot, 3ds max, C4D, Sony Vegas, next gen games, Photoshop

POWER SUPPLY I CHOSE: Seasonic G-550 (could be different)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
16GB RAM
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 1 TB
GIGABYTE GA-H97M-HD3
Crucial M500 Serie CT240M500SSD1, 240 GB SSD
Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE
Aerocool Dead Silence Red Window Edition
Intel® Core™ i7-4770

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: any
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Netherlands

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: all chosen parts can be replaced, suggestions welcome

with your CPU, overclocking is limited, as the CPU is not unlocked, it's locked basically. The "k" processors are unlocked. H97 boards also aren't for OC, so I would be saying that build is not for OC.

But in saying that, it sure is very powerful machine, no doubt about that.

Only one recommendation, change SSD to Samsung 840 EVO 250GB.

Beastis

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Thanks for the SSD suggestion! Looked into it, changing it.
I'm a noob at overclocking (as in, never done it) so that's why I went with a build that didn't allow it. If there is much to be gained by overclocking, then I'd consider it and switch the parts accordingly. I tried researching this a bit and heard that the Haswell processors are difficult to OC correctly, which is why I leaned towards staying away from it. Would you say that it is worth it to change the parts and overclock in my case?

Hi, I've got my eye on that GTX 770, however the EVGA is around 50-60€ more expensive than the MSI and Gigabyte versions in the shop that I'm looking at and I am not really sure why. Could you tell me why you prefer the EVGA one?