Upgrading an i7 870: i5 4590K, i7 4790K, or wait for Broadwell?

HarryPearce

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Hello,

I am running a quite dated setup. The mentioned i7 870 sits on a Asus p7p55 PRO mainboard, along with single NVIDIA gtx 660. The RAM is a Corsair pc3-10700 1600 CL10. The primary usage of the computer is gaming.

Now I can run all recent games on low-to-average quality settings with playable FPS (around 30-40). However, since the mobo and processor are nearly 5 years old, and with the new Intel processors, z97 chipset and possibly the 800 series nvidia GPUs coming this year, I was thinking of getting an upgrade.

I am willing to spend a non-conservative sum of money (Im thinking somewhere around $1000-$1500) for a motherboard, GPU, CPU and possibly RAM, without going the way of extreme cost ineffectiveness. I have cooling and PSU covered. I plan on overclocking any hardware I might buy.

At the moment, I am leaning towards buying the 4590k, since it looks like the hyperthreading on i7 is not going to get utilized much on any games now or in the near future.

However, my colleague argues, that the upgrade from 870 is not that significant, around 20%, he states. Since I am able to run most games, to a degree, and since I am not able to find any benchmarks comparing 870 and 4th gen cpus directly, I am wondering if it is advisable to get a new setup now, or wait for the next generation Broadwell cpus, and take my chances on a whole new setup then.

What are the possible pros and cons of both situation? Can buying the new Haswell-refresh cpu be worth it, with regards to my current setup? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Tough call. No doubt you definitely would notice a 20% difference. I'm trying to hold off upgrading until next summer when DDR4 should be more common. Going from i7 to i5 takes a bit of getting used to. Some things just aren't as smooth.

If gaming is the main concern you could just get a good video card.