Shipping PCs To Arizona - Heat Question

Duetschbag

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I will be moving from Wisconsin to Arizona in a couple of months (early September). I have 4 desktop PCs, an abundance of monitors and a couple of laptops. I know that like any items containing plastic you should not leave them in your car for an extended period of time, especially in direct sunlight.

My question is, will these items be okay in a shipping container (like a POD) or on a freight truck for the time that they are in transit to Arizona?

The explanation I got from the shipper was that stores like Walmart and Best Buy do all of their shipping in non-climate controlled trucks. I understand that, but typically those trucks are going from a distribution center to the store or maybe a couple of stores within a short period of time. My method of moving may require items to sit on the truck longer since they will have to make multiple stops and this worries me.

I can handle some possible deformation of the desktop cases, but as far as the laptops and monitors go, I really don't want to have to replace them.

Hoping someone with a similar experience can answer this for me. Thanks!

i used to work in a warehouse...

sometimes the trucks were about 110-120degrees (or more) inside from the sun beating down on the metal. granted i live on the east coast and not in arizona...

we received plenty of televisions and other electronics and there wasnt any issues that i was aware of. since we also handled merchandise pickups and returns we would have been the first to know.

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I live in AZ and everything that gets shipped to me comes in tact. Items are super hot, but they are functional. The only time I had an issue was when I ordered a headset and some of the rubber melted and got super sticky.

old man emu

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I live in Az too. The most the inside of a vehicle will reach is around 160F in direct sunlight. Well below the max operational temp of your equipment. Also it is not being used at that temp so an issue is even less likely. Your equipment will be OK

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start collecting newspapers, not magazines, and some decently thick heavy cardboard boxes for the PC's and other eq. When its time to pack the stuff up, wad the newspapers in balls, drop some in the bottom of the box first, set the pc inside, the stuff mote balls around till its tight. I used to live in Saudi Arabia, and this was the accepted regimin for packing anything electronic as newspaper is a good insulator as well as bounce protection. Saudi in the summertime sees temps of over 120+...

Duetschbag

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Thank you all for your answers! Having some additional feedback makes me feel much better about putting some, if not all, of those items on the truck instead of trying to fit them all in our vehicles.

As ewok93 had mentioned with the bouncing around, thankfully I have most of the original packaging for everything so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm also going to remove any expansion cards that could potentially do damage to the board prior to the move.

Thank you all again!

USAFRet

Titan
All your components survived shipping all the way across the Pacific, either in winter (sub-zero temps) or summer (baking in a shipping container).
Then multiple trucks and warehouses.

It will be fine.