Are smaller SSDs a poor investment due to lower write speeds?

alipmcg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my desktop's HDD to an SSD (keeping the HDD on hand for storage) but I'm not sure about whether to go with a 120gb or 240gb drive. In terms of space that I need for Windows and frequently-used applications I think 120gb would be enough, but looking at various reviews it does seem like the smaller drives have write speeds of about half that of the 240gb+ drives.

I realise that this is not true of all write speeds for a specific disk, but I would like to know what people think about this difference in speed, and what experiences people have had with these 120gb drives.

The drives I'm considering are the 120gb/240gb models of the Kingston SSDNow V300, the Samsung EVO 840, and Adata SP900 and SX900. I'm buying in Czech crowns, but the price ranges are around $100 for the 120gb drives and $150 for the 240gb.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The speed improvement of an SSD over a HDD is what you should focus on, not SSD vs. SSD. A SSD (even a "slow one") will increase boot up by 4X, and most other operations by at least a factor of 3X. That being said, if you can get a 120 GB drive for $100 and a 240 GB drive for $150, the 240GB drive is the value option.

alipmcg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
The speed improvement of SSD over HDD is what has convinced me to upgrade, but my question is really what factors are most important when choosing an SSD. Whether I decide to go with a 120gb or 240gb, there is still a choice to be made of which drive, and reviews cite various benchmark statistics that I can't say I fully understand.

The Kingston 240gb is the cheapest, but the shop I'm buying from quotes the read/write speeds for this one as 450MB/s, as opposed to 550MB/s and 530MB/s for the Adata models, which are about $15 more. findthebest.com and userbenchmark.com are both pretty scathing about the Adatas (and the Kingston) but very keen on the Samsung 840, which is about $175. The question is whether 6 months down the line I would regret not stumping up the extra $35 for the Samsung, if I went with the Kingston.

From looking at this comparison it seems like the Evo is worth the extra: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB-vs-Kingston-SSDNow-V300-240GB/1594vs1817

I have a 128 GB SSD which is perfectly adequate for my current needs: Win 7 Pro X64, MS Office, Adobe Lightroom, Canon Photo Utilities and a BUNCH of computer utilities currently consume about 24 GB. However, I may run into space constraints in the future.

If you can double your capacity for a 50% price increase, I say go for the larger drive.

Also, do not get the Kingston V300. Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

Yogi

alipmcg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014

Wow, that's enlightening. V300 is now ticked off my list of possibles