Recent Router Issue

Treken

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
So I've been experiencing an influx of lag spikes on my wireless network recently. I have 3 computers on the network and think (but am not sure) it's only apparent on my machine, which is on wireless. I've tested a few games on the computer directly connected to the router and have not experienced the same problem, but could be wrong as I only did 1-2 rounds. This is getting pretty frustrating as I've been on this wireless network for 5 years and only just started experiencing problems.

I'm on...
Modem/Router: Arris TG862
Motherboard: Unsure, make of desktop is asus CG5290
Adapter: Netgear WN111v2
ISP: Time Warner

If you have not changed anything with your network, wireless, or clients, then your problem is probably interference. The best way to see is to get a program for your computer that shows with WiFi spectrum so you can see if there is interference. I use inSSIDer. It used to be free but now it cost $20. There are some other free programs out there, though, that can be used.

Treken

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I'm a bit new to this so.. What would I be looking for in a program like this? And if it is interference, could I potentially resolve this by switching out the modem/router for just a modem and getting a 5ghz capable router?